its not power or heat

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by cloud17, Dec 28, 2007.

1. cloud17

cloud17 Geek Trainee

ok i have a crashing problem with my pc. it seems to happen only when i am doing something demanding.
    Underclocking my bus speed stops this problem but i do not wish to have to do this.
    i believed my problem was power because with my old power supply, with speed fan it showed the 12v rail as 11 -10.9ish so i now have a new powersupply and it still shows 11ish. so i believe it might not be an accurate mesure. heat is not my problem as i now have an antec 900 case keeping my processor at 35'c idle and i belive it does not go above 45'c. so i belive my processor either kicks in underheavy load or it is my memory or motherbord as the bus speed effects these too. i was wondaring if this is a common or known problem.
    i have the asrock 4coreDual-vsta. with a pentium d 3.4ghz and 2 gigs of 667 ram
    one came with motherboard and other from crucial it was a budget system from ebay so dont trust it :chk:

2. Tech

Tech Padawan

PSU's have a tolerance of approx +10% so theres nothing wrong with your readings.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Not quite. The tolerance is 5% in either direction. You should also use a multimeter to test the voltage because the readings shown under Windows are being read from BIOS readings. These are taken after the power has flown through components, not at the source, and therefore are down a few notches.

I'd look at the RAM. Download [google]memtest86+[/google] for floppy or CD and boot off the media. Let it run for a few hours and see if you get any errors. If you do get any, shut off the system and take out one of the RAM sticks and try again.

4. Tech

Tech Padawan

Apologies :O

Thanks for the correction Big B

5. cloud17

cloud17 Geek Trainee

ok i will try the test.

just like to add in the bios the 12v is shown as a solid 12v to 12.01 i believe its just speedfan is saying less