Just a few changes...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by extreme4377, Dec 5, 2004.

1. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

Just ordered a Zalman 7000B-AlCu, DFI NF3 250GB, and an Audigy 2 ZS. Should be fun to get these installed when they come in. Pics wont be for a couple weeks. Im going to wait to install everything until I have plenty of time to tear down my system, do some mods to my case with my good ol dremel, rebuild and rewire and come back overclocked and freshly formatted. Should be fun to do and even more fun to play with afterwards. Stay tuned!

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

another change? hehe you looking to overclock the CPU more?

3. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

yup yup. Im gonna overclock

4. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Nice Extreme! :good:

I've ordered:
    The Same Zalman HSF
    2 x Zalman 80mm Silent Case Fans
    2 x Akasa Black Rounded IDE Cables
    1 x Akasa Black Rounded Floppy Cable

Over xmas if i can get the cash i'll be ordering:
    2 x Cooler Master Silver CDROM / DVDROM / DVDRW Bezel
    1 x NEC 3500A Dual Layer DVDRW
    Silver 1.44 Floppy Drive
    1GB OCZ/GeIL PC4000 or PC4400 Dual Channel (2 x 512MB)

Then cooling wise im fine, just need a new hard drive, and when i need it a new graphics card as atm the games i play run fine on my GF4 and AMD64 :)

I'm also thinking of taking my dremel out after xmas and slicing the giant "X" fan grill out of the front neatly, for better and quieter cooling.

I lowered my LTD to x 4 and am running stable at 2330Mhz (233Mhz) - 233Mhz x 4(LTD) = 932Mhz Hyper Transport (slightly underclocked, but until i can get memory that will do 250Mhz or higher i won't be able to get it to 1000Mhz its supposed to be at.

Currently @ 1.425V Vcore / 2.75V DDR / 1.20V HT / LTD x 4 @ 233Mhz x 10 Multi

Temps:
    Idle | Load
    CPU: 29.0C | 47.0C (F@H, Prime95 & 3DMark01SE)
    SYS: 21.0-22.0C | 22.0C-24.0C

Thats at 233 FSB (2.33GHZ) with PC3200 GeIL Value Memory (1 Stick)

What you reckon Extreme?
    Ooo and i changed my hard drive from a 60GB 2MB to a Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM 8MB that i found

5. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

Sounds good Procal. Im just waiting on my DFI mobo to come in. FedEx had some delays with their shipping due to storms so it isnt scheduled to arrive until next week...ugh, free shipping captivates me sometimes. Not this saturday but the next, the 18th will be the day I start my project and hopefully finish it. It shouldnt take very long to tear down, clean out, cut, seal the cuts, dry, clean again, rebuild and rewire, format and reintsall everything. Maybe 6 hours at the most? The drying will take the longest if Im correct. Which reminds me, I need to go get some more sealent.

Procal, your system is looking pretty good. Id say its at about 75% of what it could be. The graphics card being a good 15% or so. Youll love the Zalman cooler. Thats the same DVD burner that Ill be ordering pretty soon. Theres rumor of a new plextor drive coming out so Im going to wait on the DVD burner for as long as I can hold out. If not, Ill just get two of the NECs, otherwise Im going with dual Plexies.

6. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Yeh, well ideally I'd like to have Dual 74GB 10,000 Sata's in Raid, with a 6800GT like yours, then i'd be finished off once I had all my new cooling and cables arrive.. espeically once ive got the really nice memory..

But realistically i don't have the money at the moment and i won't for a while so i'm just impoving the case / cooling, quietness of case whilst keeping cooling at its best.

Also i won't be around from May through till mid september 2005 as i've been given a job as a holiday rep :D which im obviously going to accept :D yay!

7. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

First off, congrats on the job offer!!! Hopefully youll still be able to visit the forums at least every once in a while.

Secondly, dual 74's would be nice, or so it sounds. RAID, IMO atleast, is not worth the hassle. Its fast ya, but I dont notice any difference in speed when comparing one drive to two; except of course in benchmarks.

As for silencing your computer, way to go bro. Thats my goal. To have a fast, powerful system that is silent. I want to make people ask me if my computer is on or off. Cutting out fan grills that are stamped on cases decreases the amount of noise by a big amount. Im thinking about ordering some Nexus Damtek available from www.endpcnoise.com for about 50 bucks as it is supposed to work the best out of all dampening products available.

As for the memory, good decision. If you have to choose either Geil or OCZ, choose OCZ hands down, no questions asked. Their customer support is second to none. If you want a cheaper solution, newegg has a gig of PC4000 of PQI Turbo Series for like 180 shipped I think. My friend plans on getting some so Ill let you know how it works for him. You may want to consider that as an option. PQI came out of no where and overclocks like mad.

8. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

Ive got yet another challenge to tackle. I just ordered an NV5 Silencer off of Coolerguys.com. Its on sale for 23 bucks plus I get some free gifts so I figured, what the hell, why not?

9. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

Yet another...I just ordered my NEC 3500A Black DVD burner. Just one for now, Ill test it out, if I like it, Ill order another maybe. I like the idea of a single drive system. We'll see...