Just fired up MegaMan games...

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by Big B, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, these games still rock. I need to get a gamepad so I don't have to hack it with a keyboard, but still, the Megaman series rocks hard. Proof positive that graphics don't mean it's a good game. I wish some of the current developers would understand that concept.

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

What exatly is megaman about?

I think that in current games, graphics do matter, DOOM 3 had crap gameplay, i still played it just for the graphics!

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

One evil scientist creates a bunch of evil robots to take over the world. Megaman is created to stop them, and their creator, Dr. Wiley. Robots kick ass, 'nuff said. This is the original Nintendo stuff, but you can get emulators for most consoles if you look around. Let's put it this way: when the Nintendo came out, I was in kindergarden.

4. Willz

:eek:, wow i never knew the nintendo was that old : O, i thought it was only like 10 or 15 years old

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That's right. I'm only 25. Nintendo the company has been around for ages, but they started off making playing cards.

6. Willz

:eek: playing cards :0 man they must be ancient.

7. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

Megaman used to do my head in. i used to have it on my NES.

Speaking about old consoles i remember getting my first Atari 2600 and being thouroughly in awe of the amazing quality of the games, crystal castles, qbert and the most incompletable game ever. Pacman.

8. Willz

Lol, i always played Pacman along with Paperboy and Lemming on my Amiga 500, i remember, i seen my m8 once with an Amiga 2000 and i wanted it so bad lol, there worth scrap, and yet almost sold it for 60quid, then my mum gave it away :mad:

9. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I'd like to try the Megaman series but I've got 3 problems, 1, I don't have a nintendo (though I suppose I could look for a classics collection for PS2), 2, I don't really know where to start, there's a ton of those games, like the X series, or Maverick, or just Megaman 5 or whatever. And 3 I heard they were damn hard to the point of serious frustration which doesn't sound like it'd be good for me, but you never know.

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Most people use emulators for the PC, so if you search around, you can find them and the ROMs pretty easily. I bought a cheap game controller just so I could play them.

11. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

True dude but the whole illegal thing comes into play then unfortunatley.

12. Willz

Your not going to get caught, its pathetic that emulators are illigal, apparently its illigal to download megadrive games and there emulators, thats pathetic!, cant even buy mega drivers or there games anymore, infact, i seen a megadrive came in a bargin basket in a shop once, 50P lol, and i found a perfectly good megadrive game in the street once about 6 years ago, what did i do, play football with it, thats how useless they are, now i got an emulator on my xbox with every N64, sega genesis (mega drive) some 32x thing, snes, nes games on.

13. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

To be specific, using emulators are only illegal IF you don't own the game. It never says you have to have a working console. I'm half tempted to get a Wii so I can snag the classics on a working console. That's why I didn't link anything because of the potential illegality. Kinda like why we don't link where to get BitTorrent client software. It's not strictly illegal (as Linux distros can be downloaded through them), but it's better to play it safe than sorry.

14. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I've got ya, I naturally don't own any of those old games and probably never will, can't say this ever stopped me before but I'm trying to at least cut down on my downloading of that type of thing. It's pretty ridiculous that it's illegal after those games obviously aren't making any company money now for years but that Wii idea is a good one.
    And just for the record I don't think the mega drive and Genesis are the same thing, I belive the megadrive was a mid 80's console, Sega's first, and the Genesis was around 90/91 or so.

15. Willz

but the sega and genesis were practically the same, they had all the same games :s

Its so annoying that downloading is illigal, it cant be that illigal or i would be in prison now of be having to pay out lots and lots and lots and lots of money.

It seems the the authorities in the uk dont really care about people downloading as long as there not distributing it.

16. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

Lets not start on the downloading thing ("looking sheepish"). Ive been told Morpheus is a character in The Matrix. its not hte morpheus i know.

I happen to own a snes and all accessories but have a few hard to find games on emulators. i.e the secret of mana.

Mega Drives, Genesis, Snes, Nes, Virtual Boy, Atari 2600, N64, Satuirn, Dreamcast, cocolouvision, Pc engine, Master system, and any others ive missed out are still all around starting about £15 quid with some of the more widely circulated games for £1 the retro console market is still booming.

I worked at Gamestation for 3 years and people still brought in loads of old consoles every week.

The market is strong go and grab yourself a working piece of history.

Weird how all snes and master systems still work 20 yrs after release.
    How many new consoles will be able to say the same in another 20yrs.

17. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That's one thing about the Wii that could be nice: the ability to snag NES titles for cheap.

18. ZeroKool

ZeroKool Geek Trainee

You cant fault goldeneye on the n64 like :p. I do also love playing Sonic 3 for the ice cap zone music!

19. sciroccosven

sciroccosven Geek Trainee

*Shakes head* Kids these days..... "What exactly is Meagaman all about"
    Tisk Tisk. I think everyone should go through the classics, kind of like a hazing process. Here is your in depth starter kit to video game immortality.

Obviously you have to start with the basics and the disclaimer.

***Disclaimer: All of these games should be played on an orignal NES console to include original NES controllers and Light Gun where required. These should be played on a tv no larger than 27 inches and works best when placed upon a vcr that at one time cost $300.00 and weighs more than a Golden Retriever.***

Super Mario Bro's and Duck Hunt (will require light gun, a working console, and the game itself).

After introducing yourself to the obvious classics you will want to move on to a few of these titles. These are titles that are the the primitive or early foundations for such genres as the shooter, sports, racing, RPG's, and puzzle games.

Metroid (never really played it that much)
    Punch-out (At least long enough to make it to Soda Popinski, Macho for medium, Tyson for the experts)
    The original Final Fantasy
    Tecmo Bowl (Imperative)
    Excite Bike
    Console Tetris (it never really felt right on anything but a nintendo console)
    Bases Loaded (ok, you can emulate this one, just start with the first one, its enough to get the idea)
    Kung Fu
    Ice Hockey
    Rampage

After you have graduated you can move on to the games with some more substance. These are the ones that can still run you $20 and over on ebay. Most of these games you can put down your mouse after your favorite THX certified frag fest and still enjoy.

Contra, any of them. Multiple weapons (Spead/shotgun,machine gun, lazer, flamethrower, assault rifle) great levels, great music, great enemies, great bosses. Leaves you wanting more. 5 Star Imperative that you play this console classic

Megaman series AKA the Rockman series for the UK. The topic of disscussion. This can be a rediculously frustrating series. Impossible at times. Skill and nerves of steel are required however the most enjoyable and feasible to beat would be Megaman 2. This is what put the Megaman series on the map. This is a great game period, not a big fan of the others, too damn hard.
    What exactly is Megaman
    Megaman is robot the can take the power and energy of of the defeated boss. Unlike your usual shooter, careful consiferation must be used in order to complete the game. I.E. Metalman should be defeated before going to face the Woodman level to use the cutter blades.

The Castlevania Series if you dont know why its bad that its getting dark out then you need to play this game.

R-Type. The NES space fight legend. This is a great konami legend along with Contra. This is another must play in my opinion. This is the highly popular sequel to gradius if that sounds familiar.

Super Mario Brothers 3. This is by far the best mario for the NES. This was a really fun, very popular game. It's levels were asthetically wonderful for the nes, there were multiple costumes with different abilities, and it was alot more than just a side scroller.

A few honorable mentions. These might be games that have lost some relevance but are still great to play and/or are classics so who are you NOT to play them. What are you too good?!? HUH!?!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2. If you have the stones to fight off screaming toddlers you might find this at Chucky Cheeses in its best form, the arcade version. This is just a fun game. One of the best the NES had to offer as far as graphics were concerned. Great gameplay make this one worth the time.
    Ghosts and Goblins. You should play this!!
    Rad Racer, very similar to outrun but this was the premier NES racing game.
    Kid Icarus
    Gauntlet series
    World Cup soccer
    Double Dragon
    POW
    Airwolf
    Spy Hunter (could go in the Original must play list)
    Bomberman series
    Ninja Gaiden
    Paperboy
    Metal Gear

Alright there is the essentials to get the curious gamer on the right path. I would advise getting the console, you wouldnt drink single malt scotch out of a syrofoam cup, so dont play an NES game as an emulation.

If I have missed any essential games, please add them. I am sure I missed a few favorites.