just upgraded to 1GB

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by db0723, Jun 18, 2005.

1. db0723

db0723 Geek Trainee

Is there a way to check and see if im running in dual mode? I just got x2 512 sticks of corsair, pc3200. I dont notice much difference. Thanks

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Do you mean dual-channel? If so, that depends if your motherboard supports it and if the RAM has been installed in both channels. The other thing depends on what you're doing, what settings you use, etc. so it may not have as big of a boost, dual-channel or not, as you might've hoped for.

3. db0723

db0723 Geek Trainee

yes my mobo supports dual, and i have them in the right slots. Where can i adjust settings, etc?

Sniper likes this.
  4. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

You should see what you want on the boot screen assuming you placed the ram in the correct slots like you mobo manual explains. In a lot of tests you wont notice a difference like Big B said, especially if the task wasn't very ram intensive to start with.

5. db0723

db0723 Geek Trainee

hey thanks for your replies guys, I have 2x 256 sticks, would it be possible to stick those in the other two available slots? Would that do any damage, or cause instibility? so i would then have 1.5 GB

EDIT: I have 2x 512 pc3200, and i have 2x 256 sticks pc2700. Will this cause instibility? thanks

6. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I don't suggest mixing speeds like that, you'll either have instability or it will just run at the lower speed. Stay with the gig, you probably wouldn't notice a difference even with the extra 512MB's if you couldn't tell if you were running in dual-channel you know.

7. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

well the slow RAM wouldn't make the computer unstable, it would just adjust all the RAM to pc2700. Also it would destroy any of you dreams of dual channel.

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah i have 2 x 256Mb at the minute, i am going to get another 2 x 256Mb of the same memory (i research to find the match including parts number for the set i have), this means it will be matched and will run in dual channel mode, i have had people tell me to get 2 x 512Mb but i may do that later as i'll have need for more than a gig at the minute,

9. Addis

Addis The King

You may or may not be able to use dual channel with 4 sticks. Depends on your motherboard.

10. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

I've got two gigs of dual channelled memory, 2 sticks of corsair, 2 of kingston. they are the same pc3200/ddr400, and so it works fine.

as previsously said, having a lower speed ram will create a bottle neck, rendering the faster ram useless, and a waste of time.

I'd stick with the gig, perhaps try and sell the other two sticks.

11. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

i got two gigs of CMX1024-3200C2PT and it works good, but its not four sticks, try to keep all your memory same speed

12. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

hey i have 2 sticks of 512mb ram (pc3200 ddr400) now look at this
    IX IX <<<ok i have 4 dimm slots on my mobo (I represents one of em X represents the other dimm slot.) now for dual channel to work, as my motherboard does support it would i have to place both sticks of ram in either the X slots or the I slots, or could i have both sticks of ram next to each other eg (IX) or does it have to be I(X) I(X)

Thats the best i can describe it :s

13. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

on my mobo for dual channel memory u have to have the placed in the same slot (but on the other set if u see what i mean)
    for example: IX IX for dual channel memory to work u have to put the both in I slots so i slots would be filled.

14. Willz

oh at the moment i have 4 slots, but its just like this (slots with no sticks in are marked as B=for Barron :p)
    my ram is like this (IX) BB (IX ARE FILLED)

So i have dual chanel disabled right?
    whats so good about dual channel, if i arrange them so that they are working in dual channel mode, whats the benifits?

15. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

no you are not running in dual channle mode at the minute, erm, dual channel mode is faster, it allows the computer to use 2 memory paths instead of one and this creates a computer which can in a sense..do 2 things at once. You also have to make sure things a matched, did you buy the 2 RAM modules together in the same pack? if so then they should be tested and dual channel matched, if you didnt then they may not be matched and not as efficient and reliable a they could be.

16. Willz

no i dint, but there the exact ram, i bought it from pc world, there both value ddr400 pc3200 ram., exatly the same, cloans :p

17. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

could work then, if they're the exact same, the only reason you buy dual channel kits is because its tested to be the same and u get the peace of mind of that, i have enver used dual channel ram that hasnt been matched so i can't really talk from personal experience, if it was me though i would try it, if not then just put it back.

18. Willz

al gived it a try