Keep Loosing Sound..

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by ProcalX, Mar 24, 2006.

1. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

I'm running a:
    P4 2.4Ghz / 1GB (2x512MB) / MSI Neo2 PE

The motherboard was second hand and i picked it up for £15 due to problems with the onboard sound..

anyway i installed a Soundblaster Live Audio card which i know works, it's all properly installed with the latest drivers..

For some reason every month or two the sound will suddenly stop working, ingames, playing music, through media players, through any of the optical drives Head Phone ports..

Everything just goes.. Windows is setup to use the Soundblaster card by default, and i have disabled the onboard audio via device manager.

The strange thing is.. there are no errors at all, when i open a music file it seems to be playing, but i cant hear it.. and all the volume settings are fine!

When ever i get this problem, all i do to fix it is use System Restore to set the computer back to 1-3 days before the problem started and it works perfectly, and then the problem wont happen for another month or so..

all very annoying..

any ideas?

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

one thing that i have learnt (the hard way) is with anything ALWAYS reset it to defaults before use, in your case i think a BIOS reset (or clear CMOS) is in order, if you don't know how to do it, just let me know, btw remove the sound card and try using the onboard sound again

3. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Donkey42, first off welcome to the forums!

Thanks for your thoughts but resetting the BIOS won't make a difference, this is clearly a software fault, but i can't pin point it!

Nice to see we have another member that is helpful - always a great addition to the forums.. (although yes i know how to reset a BIOS 3 years on these forums as a moderator & 4 years working & studying in IT :) )