Lag problem on internet gaming

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by Gui, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Gui

Gui Geek Trainee

Hi everyone this is my first post, so i didn't knew where to put it. Anyway I got a lag problem when i play on internet. I will explain:
    I am playing normaly and suddently the game stops for about 2-3 seconds and i cant move, then after that seconds i get back, and most of the times im dead (annoying >.>). My OS is windows vista.
    A friend of mine thinks the problem is in the internet connection with the processator.

Processator-INTEL core2duo E8400
    Graphic card-Geforce N250GTS 512mb
    Internet-[​IMG]

I forget one thing, when i play crysis for example it dont got lag problems, just in internet gaming. Anyway thanks for those who can help me :)

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

That connection is dirt slow, but the latency isn't outrageous. Is there anything else running that would be using bandwith? BitTorrent? P2P software? Malware?

Also, just so you know, the network stack in Vista sucks horribly. I've seen it cause massive latency problems on a gigabit LAN; I can only imagine trying to game on a slow ADSL link with Vista.

3. Gui

Gui Geek Trainee

xD well normaly i just play with windows live menssenger on and sometimes with steam.
    But some months ago i had a low performance computer with windows XP and the internet connection was the same and i didnt lag at all..

4. Anti-Trend

Right. So with that in mind, here are the likely possibilities:

a) Malware (virus, spyware, etc) using your bandwidth to do bad things.
    b) Vista's shitty network stack being sucky.
    c) All of the above. :)

5. Gui

Gui Geek Trainee

So, how can i solve this?

6. Anti-Trend

Well, you can start with some anti-malware sweeps, make as sure as possible that the system hasn't been compromised. After that, consider ditching Vista?

7. Gui

Gui Geek Trainee

I think it isnt virus.. but anyway i will see that. Hm i didnt wanted that option because it might be hard to move many things but are you sure if i move to XP the problem will end?

8. Anti-Trend

Most likely. I'm no fan of Windows, but the truth is that the network stack in previous versions was flawed but functional. Microsoft decided to rewrite it for Vista from the ground up, and you can see just how well that turned out. XP's network stack may suck, but at least it's mature.

9. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

10. Hyperion

Hyperion Geek Trainee

Try pinging ur gateway..i think there is packet loss..u will most probably get request timed out messages in between

11. Danny Mustaine

Danny Mustaine Geek Trainee

You better fix your internet problem, you kill me after I killed you 20 seconds before :p
    your mate, MeGaDeT|-|

12. Gui

Gui Geek Trainee

LOL megaa xD