Laptop Battery Voltage Issue

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by ProcalX, Feb 24, 2010.

1. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Hey all, blimey! 2 years since I last signed in!! Glad to see you're going strong and still providing amazing advice for free to the online community!

Just needed to ask a question as i've not come across it before.. Girlfriends laptop been going all weird (mainly because its an Acer), screen going dim/off/lines down, keyboard and mouse not responding etc..

Thought the mainboard was on the way out and have simply removed the battery which is ancient and doesn't hold any charge.. laptop now runs fine. I cannot seem to find anyone else with this model/other manufacturers of laptops experiencing this solution, is it possible the laptop has been providing an incorrect voltage and causing the issues?

Would appreciate your thoughts/experiences

Tom

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

If the battery and the AC power are both present, it will use the charge of the battery to power the laptop and the AC power will keep the battery charged. Now it's very likely that the battery is dying and provides the wrong voltage.

If the laptop works fine without the battery, then it's the major cause of these issues.