Laptop Display

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by DavidNW, Sep 13, 2006.

1. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Anyone know why my friend's fairly new laptop monitor is giving a really dim display when it is working off the mains, but has a brilliant clear bright display when it is running on battery. It seems the wrong way round to me and I don't have an answer for them, so thought I'd run it by you guys.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I couldn't tell you exactly where to look, but you might check the power management. I'm not sure if you have the right options under the Windows power management tools or not, so check the manufacturer's tools to see if there's software they use for this.

3. Addis

Addis The King

That is odd, mine goes brighter when running off the mains. As B said, check the power settings although I doubt there'd be an option to change screen brightness.

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

disable power managment temporaraly, if it then changes brightness on screen with both battery & mains power, you then know the problem is NOT connected with any power managment setting, if brightness then does not change, you can then enable power managment and start adjusting settings

5. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

It turns out that the problem was quiet simple in the end:

All it took, apparently, was to hold down the Fn button (Bottom left on the said laptop's keyboard) and press F7 - that is the brightness button - hold it down until the screen becomes brighter.

I know zilch about laptops, but I still don't understand why the laptop's screen was bright when running on its battery and dim when powered directly from the mains. Just one of those things I guess. Thanks to all that helped. :)