Laptop DVD-Ram Driver Problems

Discussion in 'Drivers and Firmware' started by onauc, Jan 12, 2010.

1. onauc

onauc Geek Trainee

Hi,

I am having problems with my DVD-Ram. My Dvd-Ram was working fine last month but this month it's not.
    Recently, I had installed no video editing software but only installed File Shredder softwares and softwares to recover deleted files and the Opera browser. After that, I'm facing trouble with my DVD-Ram.
    Everytime, I inserted a cd on my DVD-Ram, I was getting the following error message:
    "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39).
    I can't remember at this very instant how I was getting this message but I think it was via my Norton 360 but I'm not sure.
    Anyway, whenever everytime, I uninstalled the "Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-860H" via Windows Device Manager and rebooted my laptop, I would see the "Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-860H" listed again on the Device Manager list.
    (I was getting Windows Update to update so I guess the driver was automatically getting downloaded and getting listed on the Device Manager).
    I would then right-click the and pick the "Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-860H" on the Device Manager and click the "Update Driver" option and get a message that the update will not carry-on because there is no newer version than the one I already have.
    Anyway, I kept going in circles like this by uninstalling the driver, rebooting the laptop, using Windows Update, trying to update the driver and getting message that no newer version is available than what I already have.
    Finally, I unistalled the driver again a few more times but these times without getting the WIndows Update to update anymore so the driver doesn't get downloaded again by WIndows Update but I still could see the "Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-860H" listed on the Device Manager list.
    Now, my question is, how come the driver was getting downloaded and listed on the Device Manager these last few times when I wasn't "Windows Updating" nor re-downloading it nor re-installing it ?

Anyway, finally I uninstalled the "Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-860H" for the last time, rebooted my laptop, did not run WIndows Update, right-clicked "Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-860H" on Device Manager and picked the option "Scan for Hardware Changes" and picked the option "Run Registry Clean-up" on my Norton 360 and now "Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-860H" is not listed on Device Manager any-more. So far so good. I think Norton 360 deleted it completely from the Windows Registry.
    But, now my "Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-860H" doesn't open. Pressing the hard button on the "Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-860H" doesn't open the lid so I'm unable to get the cd out now. The light on the "Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-860H" doesn't light-up anymore either. It's as if the "Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-860H" drive is dead. This maybe the case because the driver is not available so my laptop is unable to communicate with the dvd-ram.
    Now, my question is, where do I download the driver from ? I tried searching the whole internet but no luck. I can't find it. I can't seem to find the manufacturer's website either.

At the end, I deleted the UpperFilter and LowerFilter parameters from the Windows Registry using RegEdit (since so many websites instruct us to do so when having cd-rom/dvd-rom troubles like this before exporting it and saving it for back-up purpose incase I need to roll-back to it):
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    But, still my dvd-ram is not opening nor lighting-up it's light. It's still dead. I think this new trouble would get fixed once I re-install the "Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-860H" driver but I don't know where to download it from nor do I know how to install this driver (what folder to download it and install to). I need the driver and it's installation instructions so my dvd-ram starts lighting-up again aswell as start opening and closing again with-out showing any error like the error 39 code.

I tried Windows System Recovery by rolling back 2 days from today to a date before I started uninstalling the the "Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-860H" driver but I get the message that System restore would not take place because there was no changes to the system! Now, how could this be ? I'm trying to roll back the system to a date the driver uninstallation hadn't taken place yet and WinXp tells me it can't do this because nothing has been changed on my system from that day till today ? I mean, isn't it correct that, something had changed since the driver doesn't exist on my Windows registry anymore today since the date I'm trying to roll back to?
    You see, this is another problem I keep facing. I've installed and uninstalled a lot of softwares within the last 2 months and everytime I try rolling Windows System back to a date before I started all these software installations I get this message that Windows cannot roll back to these dates I pick because nothing has been changed on the system rom those dates till now even though many softwares had been installed and uninstalled by then. This happens no matter what date I pick 2-3 months back from now. How come ? Very strange, frustrating and annoying!
    I'm really stuck now. I'm unable to back to the Driver because it's not listed on device Manager anymore. Nor, can I roll WinXp back to an earlier date to get the driver back nor can I find the driver for download any-where on the internet.

At this moment, my "Norton 360 All-In-One-Security" diagnostic report shows the following error message:
    Problem: Norton 360 has detected in-operable hardware devices.
    Recommendation: You may want to configure these hardware devices. Run Device Maneger to properly configure hardware devices.

Data Type Device Problem and Description
    Device Type 1394 Net Adapter
    Device Status Device is disabled. (Code 22)
    Plug and Play ID V1394\NIC1394\29D1470E23F99

The following is my laptop spec:

Technology TL-60
    1.99Ghz, 1.87BG of Ram,
    Physical Address Extension
    Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-860H

Windows XP Professional
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 3

I may buy a new laptop, any suggestion what dvd rw drive manufacturer and model to avoid so I don't face troubles like this ever again ?

2. bondcarl

bondcarl Geek Trainee