Laptop with AMD or Intel?

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by sabashuali, Oct 4, 2005.

1. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Hi all

I was asked by a freind to advise on a new laptop.
    There are obviously loads out there and I can probably give advice on most components.
    However, I am a bit stuck on processors -
    I know the Pentium M and the Centrino to be excellent processors but obviously being Intel they are pricier.
    Is there an AMD equivalent which might help knock down the price of the system?
    I was told it would be mainly for Intenet, downloading, audio conversions and office work. Probably some video watching for good measure...

Thanks for all your help!

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

There is AthlonXP Mobile but i think AMD Turion 64 is your best bet.

As far as i know they come in two flavours, that being the Turion 64 ML series and the Turion 64 MT. With its 34 watt Thermal Design Power, The Turion 64 ML model series is not as energy efficient as the Turion 64 MT series. The maximum energy consumption of the MT series is around 35% less than that of the ML, with a TDP of 25 watts.

Although they haven't been on the market for as long as Pentium M's or Centrino's i've heard they are really hiiting the market hard. I don't know how much money your friend is willing to pay for a shiny new laptop but i've seen a few sub $1300 ones from HP and the like!

EDIT: There is a Review
    comparing the Turion To Intel's Centrino/Pentium M if your interested in reading it

sabashuali likes this.
  3. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Another lesson from Pelvis!

Thanks for the tip...
    and the artical which for sados like me makes good reading.

I will pass the information....

Cheers.

4. pelvis_3

Not a problem :)

5. Addis

Addis The King

Don't bother with mobile AXPs, they're not really suitable for modern laptops and of course not produced anymore. You can choose the turion64, but by no means is the PM done. The new Pentium M cores close to release from Itel (Yonah codename I believe) will provide a tough challenge so I'd watch the market.
    I see that pelvis is utilising Toms hardware articles well ;).

6. pelvis_3

Yep, they explain it better :D