LCD Component Repair (Inverter)

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Myth, May 17, 2008.

1. Myth

Myth Geek Trainee

A monitor of my mothers stopped working soon after she bought it. I looked up the company that makes it to find they are bankrupt and no longer exist, Imagen that.

So I opened the thing and found that the (correct me if im wrong) power inverter has a small burned spot on it.

I've tryed looking for this component but cant find it anyware. And i refuse to belive i can't just order it.

Any help would be great!

The Monitor: X2gen MW19R 19" LCD

The component: FLY-IV190401
    [​IMG]

2. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Can you get us a better picture (of the burned out component) 'might' be able to point you in the right direction then (to get a replacement so you could repair the board itself)

(check if your camera has a 'macro' mode)

3. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

The camera might have reached and passed its minimum focusing distance. If this is the case, take it as close as you can whilst still in focus, then crop the image using your computer. The quality won't be as good, but it should be good enough.

4. Myth

Myth Geek Trainee

Sorry about that, heres the new image, though in this shot the burn looks like it go's all the way threw the board... It does not. Its just on the cerface and half of a little brown and goldish piece is gone.
    [​IMG]

5. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

From where I'm looking that looks like a blown surface mount resistor (correct me if I'm wrong anyone)
    Can you read the code from it or the others (if they really are exactly the same)
    If not do you have a multimeter handy set it to resistance and measure one of the others manually, again if you could get higher resolution just on & around that resistor I may have been able to identify it for you.

Best of luck

6. Myth

Myth Geek Trainee

It is a surface mount resistor. I measured the resistance of the others and they are all the exact same, so i guess all i have to do is take out the bad and put in a good.

Though, i don't have any surface mount resistors, would a regular old resistor of the same measure work?

7. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Aye should be, be careful not to lift the pads of anything else while doing the soldering.

Also it may happen that as soon as you replace it it blows again hinting that perhaps the power supply isn't up to the job, perhaps with cheap smoothing caps or something.

8. Myth

Myth Geek Trainee

I'll give it a shot tonight.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll let you know how it turns out.

9. Myth

Myth Geek Trainee

Complete disaster! I just was not equiped well enough.

The resistor was too small and my gun was too big. :(

In the mean time, im going to radio shack for some good tools.

Thanks again for all the info and help, Fergy.

10. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Aww, I kinda assumed that because you were willing to take on the task you'd be equiped from the off :s Sorry you ran into troubles