Linux Desktop

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by Anti-Trend, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

The OS is Mandriva 2005 LE. I didn't download that theme, I simpy tweaked around for about 2 minutes until it looked like I wanted it to. KDE is very flxible. :) To answer your question more directly, no, it didn't look that good out of the box. In fact, it looked more like Windows. However, as I mentioned earlier it only took literally around 2 minutes to get it to look that way.

-AT

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Show off your desktop!

Oh yeah KDE, almost makes me want to convert, okay so it does with the exception of compatabily problems:(, that's pretty nice tweaking there as it looks great, how much does Mandriva 2005 LE cost USD?

3. Anti-Trend

Like any Linux distro, It's free (assuming you only want the OS and not tech support from Mandriva). Or you can get it already burned on CDs or a DVD from a Linux disc vendor, such as cheap-bytes.com

By the way, I've attached my theme if anybody wants it, although it's nothing special.

Attached Files:

4. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Show off your desktop!

I'm gonna install mandriva tonight :) hope it can run off my beefy 4.3gb hdd and I will definately get your theme.

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Show off your desktop!

How many gigs is it? I might almost want to convert if I knew I could still install all my programs and games and run them fine.

6. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

Show off your desktop!

i just have the crystal background and firefox/thunderbird/recycle bin/my documents/my computer icons on there, nothing else, also very clean and organized here

Fred that is very symbolic, awesome dude

7. Anti-Trend

It's anything from like 250mb to around 5gb, depending on what you choose to install. The OS is relatively small, but there is a lot of supporting software included. Regarding Windows software on Linux, see my recent post.

8. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

Show off your desktop!

mandriva

sounds like a gorgon and a mermaid put together

but I bet its still beautiful

9. Anti-Trend

Actually, it's more like Mandrake and Connectiva put together. The name change came when both companies merged.

10. ninja fetus

Heh I've been downloading it for over 24 hours now. Seems like a hot file :) over an hour left, and I still need to que up CD3. T_T

11. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

Typical. I spend all evening setting up my new room and getting my computers properly configured only to find out that I'm missing out on a whole "Let's try Linux" thread. Anyway, I've just gotten twin 17" Dell monitors running on the same Slackware machine under Gnome so I now have a 1280X2048 desktop! It's pretty bare still but it's a big improvement over a single 1024X768 desktop. The best thing about it is that to get it set up required me to change maybe ten lines from a text file and run one command from the command-line and, hey presto, a 1280X2048 desktop! I'll post a few pics once I get something sensible together, and find/make a suitable background.

12. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

How do you take screen shots with dual monitors? Is it one screen at a time?

13. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Thanks for the great post AT, that definately sums up what I need to know then. I guess I'd just miss the out to the box compatability with too many of the games I want to run well to justify Linux, though It's still very tempting as maybe a laptop OS:good:. If I wasn't into gaming I'd probably still stick with Macs then I guess, only becuase we already have one.

14. Anti-Trend

Linux is fantastic as a laptop OS, since it's obviously very secure and the battery life is second to none. Just try not to get one with an ATI video card if possible.

15. ninja fetus

Also don't forget Linux cuts way down on hard drive use compared to windows when page filing is used all the time. Since hard drives do use quite a bit of power linux helps dramatically cut down hard drive activity and more battery life.

16. Anti-Trend

I've looked into the same issue fetus, and I agree. It's the only way I can justify in my mind the near 600% increase in battery life of Linux over XP when they're both using the same power-saving features. Window's aggressive and constant usage of VM is the only thing I can think of that would explain this discrepancy.

17. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

imagine linux on one of those dells with go6800Ultras

SALVATION maybe there is a chance for the battery life to keep up over half an hour of hard core gaming

18. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

What's wrong with ATI and Linux?

19. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

they have some compatability problems with the drivers i think (idk much about linux)

also surprisingly ati puts more load on the system than nvidia

Exfoliate likes this.
  20. ninja fetus

ATI hasn't supplied **** for drivers under linux. Generic drivers are kinda bad too