Linux in the News

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Anti-Trend, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Nov 19th: Worldwide Mandriva Install Party

Following the release of Mandriva Linux 2006, Mandriva is mobilizing its network of Linux User Groups (LUGs). Free community installation sessions will take place around the world. Major participating locations include the United States, Brazil, Canada, China, Moroco, and the island of Reunion. More than 60 cities are involved, including a dozen in China and 15 in Brazil.

On November 19, all around the world, expert Mandriva Linux users will assist beginners to help them get started with the operating system. A variety of goodies will be distributed to the participants.

The number of Mandriva Linux users worldwide is estimated to be in the order of 6 to 8 million.

4 of the Top 5 Supercomputers Run Linux

For out of five of the world's most powerful supercomputers run Linux today. This is interesting in light of Microsoft's claims about Linux, who claim the Linux operating system is unreliable and scales poorly. But when the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center, NASA, and Sandia National Laboratories needed an operating system for their massive supercomputers, they turned to Linux. Here is a list of the top 5 sorted by total computing power, along with the operating system each runs:

1. BlueGene/L - CNK/Linux
    2. BGW - CNK/Linux
    3. ASC Purple - AIX
    4. Columbia - CNK/Linux
    5. Thunderbird - CNK/Linux

Xandros Launches German Desktop Operating System and Windows Alternative

Xandros, a leading developer of easy-to-use Linux alternatives to Windows, today released the German version of its desktop operating system at the Frankfurt LinuxWorld Conference and Expo. The new version comes in response to a growing demand in the German-speaking market for secure, open alternatives to legacy Windows software. New features in the German package include NoMachine thin client support and OpenOffice.org 2.0 for creating standards-based documents and spreadsheets. In addition, Xandros Desktop OS 3.1 Deutsche Version has the latest CrossOver Office 5.0 to run popular office productivity software, such as Microsoft Office, Photoshop and Lotus Notes in Linux without costly Microsoft OS licenses.

“This German version of the Xandros Desktop operating system has been designed to fit right in to existing German infrastructures, and provide a simple migration path from proprietary to open solutions. The release marks the opening of our concerted campaign to provide the European community with secure, easy-to-use Linux desktop and server products,” said Andreas Typaldos, Xandros CEO. “We expect our Windows alternatives to be especially well received in Germany where Debian GNU/Linux adoption is rapidly taking hold, in Munich and other localities.”

Attached Files:

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Excellent, do you know where I can find out wabout what city in the UK this Mandriva thing is held at, if I can get to it (or am allowed) then it would be cool to go.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Well, I didn't see the UK listed at all in the press release, which you can read by clicking on the headline of the article. But you can certainly contact your local LUG (Linux Users Group) and ask them if they're participating. Even if they aren't chances are they'll be willing to help you out.

-AT

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Ahh yeah, I can't see it anywhere, oh well, I might e-mail them, although it's Saturday, I think I may be busy, damn.