Liquid Metal Thermal 'Compound'

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Matt555, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I know this is on ebay and I'm going to start looking on the net for something more 'concrete' but WHAT THE....!!!
    Liquid Metal Heat Conductor Stuff...
    Anyone have any ideas on this?
    I'll post again if i find anything on the net about it.

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'd like to see an independent review first. While I do think that it's probably a good product, those graphs are only from their own website.

I have heard of liquid metal being used to cool things down (a gallium-based concoction), but it was in watercooling-style setup, if I'm remembering things correctly.

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah all i found was links to ebay and their own website (plus an online shop to get it from) no reviews...if its as good as they say it is then i'm going to have to get me some

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Good move. Many companies claim things about their products that may not be true. However, if it is....ohhhhh, yeah!

6. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yup, i was surprised with the graph showing MX-1 being better than AS5!
    I got MX-1 with my freezer 4 and went with AS5 because i trusted it, but if MX-1 is actually better then blimey...(its also a lot thicker and will be harder to apply i think I put it next to some AS5 on paper and AS5 was sticky, MX-1 was more like putty and didnt stick)
    But this liquid metal stuff, i may get some anyway and write up on it, I might order some during the week and let ya'll know what its like.

7. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

sounds pretty neat, i'd like to try it out.

8. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

i cant remember, but sapphire have made liquid metal cooling for i think the x800xl. blizzard or somthing.

so, its not new.

9. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

cool was the liquid metal use as the thermal paste/compound between GPU and heatsink or in specially designed/sealed heatpipes?

10. Willz

i am not sure, proberbly sealed heap pipes

11. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

ahh i see, well it looks like cool stuff, as i said i may buy some and see what it's like, although at like €10.45 (whats that like £6-something inc delivery) for a 1g syringe its a bit expensive so we'll see.

12. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Now I remember where the Gallium-based liquid-metal cooling system was in play. Sapphire had that on the Blizzard module. I'm not sure if it ever made it to market, but it was similar to a heat-pipe setup.

Unlike that method, the liquid-metal compound that's the subject of this thread can be applied like traditional thermal pastes.

The applications are a bit different, but they both are used in the transfer of heat away from the hot components.

13. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Judging by the pictures the amount used is minute.
    It will probably hold a few applications in that 1g.
    In that case it looks like it is worth the price.

14. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah u can see what you're saying, it does look that way but you need something really flat and fine (razor blade) to spread it otherwise you get it sticking to the spreader too much and then get wastage...bah!
    Well i'll see, i'm quite happy with AS5 atm but i may change to let you guys (and gals) know what its like, heck could even start a thermal compound revolution...heh

15. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

woa, carfull with this stuff! since its pure 'metal' that also means it will conduct VERY nicely!

I would NOT use this if you have an older style CPU with the tops of pins and transistors etc on the top

[​IMG]

(like the one above)

And for gods sake dont spill ANY of it inside your case! [not even a drop! (cos it might sort out something!)]

16. Willz

i think it would be ok, just as long as you just put one drop of it on.

as thermal paste does conduct electricity aswell.

17. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

i'm sure thay have thought about this, its a fundemental part of thermal compunds "does it conduct electricity?"
    I dont think it will be completely liquid, then there could be some problems, but i think it may be very runny (got to be to be able to get it out of the syringe)

18. Willz

liquid metal, is that mercury :s

if so, its solid at hot temperatures.

or is it some sort of liquid metal with some sort of little bits of mercury?

19. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Well 'standard' (although i hate to use that word as nothing is really standard) thermal compound/paste has micro size pieces of something in (silver, silicon etc) and then have a non-metal thermal paste/liquid to hlod it together, i think this is all liquid metal stuff, probably not an element, a compound made of other elements, it can't be mercury as mercury is poisinous and they wouldn't be allowed to sell it to/in the UK.
    As it says on the site:

20. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I found this after another google search