Looking for really cool!!!!! Linux (Mandrake) Desktop background

Discussion in 'General Software' started by gatos_2004, Feb 20, 2004.

1. gatos_2004

gatos_2004 Geek Trainee

hey there!!!!!!

Hi guys... I was just looking for a super cool desktop background that I can
    download and put in my new linux installation.
    And also if possible can anyone give me a location where I can read some tutorials about using commands in linuxMandrake 9.2

Thanks....

Hey Daniel what's up :good:

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

You can check Digital Blasphemy, they've got quite a few catchy wallpapers. It really depends on what you're looking for. There are a myriad of sites that host awsome nature scenes. Or, if you're into space, hit nasa. When in doubt, Google it.

3. Anti-Trend

It's not free, but check out Moving to Linux: Kiss the Blue Screen of Death Goodbye!, by Marcel Gagne. It's a great introduction to Linux that covers many general concepts, as well as many specifics to Mandrake. Not recommended for the advanced Linux user, but it's a good way to get off on the right foot.

4. gatos_2004

gatos_2004 Geek Trainee

Hey Anti-Trend

THanks for writing... I was searching the other day and I found a really cool
    place on the net to get themes for linux...there are tons of them and they are really
    easy to search ... the URL is

http://themes.freshmeat.net/

I download couple of them yersterday, but I couldn't find a way to install them in my
    linux desktop. I think I am supposed to type couple commands from the root, but
    my root is not accessible. I am not very experienced with linux so I have not idea
    what to do...

thanks ...write me if there is any suggestion

5. Anti-Trend

Freshmeat.net is definately filled with Linux goodness, but is nafariously unorganized. If you can get the time to hunt & peck through hordes of basically uncatagorized content, there are some pretty nice themes and such to be had. Typically, these themes are packaged as 'tar.gz' packages (but not always). If they are, all you have to do to install them is run the Theme Manager tool that comes with KDE: 'K' Icon --> Configuration --> KDE --> LookNFeel --> Theme Manager. For some reason the Theme Manager window is mis-sized apon launch, so you'll have to stretch it to see the whole thing. All you have to do next is click the 'Add' button, and browse to your theme package. Assuming the package is compatible with your build of KDE, you'll have a new theme to choose from! :)