Loud Humming When First Truning On The Pc

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Robert Van Wicklen, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Robert Van Wicklen

Robert Van Wicklen Geek Trainee

Lately I notice a loud humming when first turning on my pc. Could this be a sign that one of the fans is wearing out?

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Just for short time? It's quite normal that fans go full speed for short time when computer is powered on. That way it's ensured that fans start spinning.

Robert Van Wicklen likes this.
  3. Robert Van Wicklen

One or two minutes. I just never heard it before lately and had the computer about 3 years. Iwas thinking a fan was wearing out.

4. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Two minutes, that's quite long time then. It's also possible that fan causes case to resonate. Easy to check, when hearing that noise, put your hand on case. If noise is different, then it's probably resonation. If not, then probably fan is indeed getting broken.

Robert Van Wicklen likes this.
  5. Robert Van Wicklen

6. Robert Van Wicklen

It hasn't done it the last few times and I can feel coolness from the fans when I hold my hand over the vents. I have more than one fan.

7. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Fan(s) may be a bit broken. Works fine some time, some time not so fine. Wait until that noise happens again and see what fan is noisy.

8. Robert Van Wicklen

Thanks so much for all your advice. I'll have to open up the box to see which fan or fans look bad.