Low cost yet effective cooling?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by spuff, Oct 18, 2004.

1. spuff

spuff Big Geek

I thought I had a major CPU problem but I have now found it out ... case temperature. I found out that it doesn't freeze when I have the side panel removed yet when it's put back on, it rises up about ten celcius and usually crashes.
    So my question is this ... is there such thing as a low cost yet effective way of cooling the inside of a case (without removing the side panel!)? Or maybe a good quiet (or silent!) CPU fan and heatsink that may work and doesn't cost the earth?

I had visions of having a quiet computer but I don't think I'm gonna get that ... though it would be nice!

My PC:

Athlon XP 3000+ (333mhz)
    Thermaltake TR2-M3 SE fan and heatsink
    Maxtor 80GB HDD
    SpekTek (or something like that) PC2700 256MB RAM
    Samsung PC3200 256MB RAM
    Sapphire Radeon 9600XT
    400W PSU
    I have no case fans as yet but would this make a difference?

Thanks!

P.S, I do not intend to overclock anything ... yet!

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-103-146&depa=0
    I have that heatsink, cheap. Cools good too. But not with the stock fan. Out of the box it sucks ballz. Blowing across it will cool faster than that fan. I'm not even kidding on this one. It says in the product info from Newegg.com that it can go up to 61. CFM. PSH FAT CHANCE!!! its onle 2000rpm. Cmon. Be realistic here!

But with a different fan
    You can cool that baby waaaayyy down.

I have my 2400+ Sempron overclock to 185mhz, and 13x multiplier running 45C for a few hours at full load.

You may want to pick up a two or more of those fans if your case can hold them. They draw a little bit of power so a 300watt-350watt generic brand Power supply wont cut it
    400watt generic brand may be pushing it as well.

3. spuff

spuff Big Geek

Seems those are hard to get hold of here in the UK. :( The 3 main UK sites I visit are dabs.com, microdirect.co.uk and overclockers.co.uk. Ideally, I need something that's fairly quiet (if not silent!), good at cooling and is under £25 (about $45).

4. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

For case fans, you'll want to get pretty much anything between 30 and 50CFM and <35db if you want to be quiet.

I found that heatsink on dabs.com for 11 £
    http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Product+Details.htm?quicklinx=36PK&searchphrase=amd heatsink

as for case or a different fan on the heatsink i posted

fans Only 4£ each. Queit too, only 20db and 46cfm.

Or for a different heatsink http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Product+Details.htm?quicklinx=25DG&searchphrase=amd heatsink

those are really quiet. All copper heatsink. but 40£