Low Spec PC

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by mlawton40, Apr 6, 2006.

1. mlawton40

mlawton40 Geek Trainee

Alright guys, I know quite a bit about hardware, the only area which I am not that good on is Graphics cards.

I have a PC which needs a graphics card upgrading as it is not letting you play video's.

Now the computer is from TIME and the graphics card is in the slot which i thought was a AGP slot but I have tried AGP cards in it and they don't fit. So I don't understand what slot this card is in.

So I am going to get a PCI graphics card, anyone tell me what mb card I would need to play videos. The computer spec is 128mb memory, low cpu (about 233mhz).

Any Ideas?

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

it sounds as though, if you have an AGP slot, it's probably an AGP X1 you've probably been trying to plug in an AGP X4, AGP X2, AGP X8.
    what you want is an AGP X1 card, but i think it will be difficlt to track one down, so yes it will probably be easier to use a PCI graphics card

3. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

What games are you wanting to play, i think your system will not really be able to handle any modern games, your memory is 128mb and cpu 233mhz!!, also a PCI graphics card aint much good for playing games, i suppose there alright, i had one and i could play unreal tournament 2003 on high settings, but i had nvidia ge force fx 5200 256mb PCI, and 1.2ghz celeron and 384mb ram, i soon came to find that even that crawled on alot of more mdoern games.

on a graphics card, 128mb is ok, but its getting more like 256mb ok and 512mb awsome!!!, but cards with 256mb now can be quite cheap depending on how powerfull they are.

to be honist, your goign to really need a new computer to play games, unless you are into classic games.

oh, but you dident say you play games, well for videos, any low end card should be ok, pci ge force fx 5500, or 5200, you cpu will also be making you unable to play videos.

4. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I'm sorry to say that it's not your graphics card that is stopping you from playing videos (you don't mean video games do you?)

A 233MHz CPU will not play videos with modern software. To stand any chance you'd have to use Windows 95 and a very old video player - Realplayer 8 possibly.

If on the other hand you are talking about games, then a new graphics card will help. Chances are that you only have a PCI slot.

If it's a white slot then it's PCI
    if it's a brown slot then it's AGP