mad katz cyborg R.A.T. 3 gaming laser mouse. first impressions

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Karimbo, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Karimbo

Karimbo Geek

[​IMG]

I bought this mouse yesterday, arrived in the mail today. Paid £35 for it with free delivery.

I saw the video review of it's big brother the RAT 5 on youtube. Priced at $100

I wanted to replace my ps/2 infra red mouse as it would starting to get a bit jerky and while maybe in 2001 it was quite "accurate", 10 years on, the mouse wasn't really doing it for me any more. Screen res has improved for 800x640 to 1920x1080, and because of that, the ancient infra red moust isn't as accurate as it once appeared.

My biudget for a laser mouse was £20, give or take, though I came across this deal for £35, I thought Id treat myself to an upgrade, 2011 looks like a good year for me.

What are my thoughts?

one word. Meh. The mouse is designed look crazy and "ergonomic", while at the same time stylish. the mouse looks like somethig that's come out of an alien space ship.

However it's all smoke an mirrors, it's not really that comfortable to hold. When you have amouse in your hand you want something that feels nice and smooth, so you can glide your finders along it. This feels quite unfortable if you hold it any way other than the exact wat it's meant to be held.

For day to day use when your hand moves from the keyboard to the mouse it can be annoying.

The redeeming features is that the little taper where the thumb sits, is really well thought out. It allows you to use the mouse without your thumb getting in the way. I'm surpirsed other manufacturers haven't been doing this for a long time.

the rat3 doesn't have the pinky finger sit, it's bigger brother the rat 5 and rat 7 does.

The DPI and accurance is very nice. I remember that my infra red mouse had the mouse pointing jerking when the mouse was left untouched, because of the poor accuracy. The laser mouse is smooth and FPS games are slightly better to play with.

DPI controls are nice, and also allows you to switch between preset modes that you may set up for different games.