Mandriva 2007 RC1 available

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Anti-Trend, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Mandriva 2007 RC1 is now available for download, complete with slick XGL integration and many other improvements. It's available as an installable live CD so you can try before you commit. And as always, if you like it well enough, you can continue to run it and update to the final release when it's out using urpmi.

The whole blog article from Alexandre Solleiro:
    Webteam Blog ยป RC1 and a full moon here in Paris

If you do try it and find any bugs, please report them or the whole release candidate will be pointless! :)

2. Addis

Addis The King

I've been using the beta3, which is just before this RC release. It seems ok, although X fonts seem to be horrible, I'm guessing this is fixed in this release when I update it.

3. Anti-Trend

If you add the cooker repositories to urpmi, you should be able to update to the current release. Just add cooker and run the following:

Code:
    [I]#update list of available packages:[/I]
    [B]urpmi.update -a[/B]
    [I]#update any packages which are newer than those installed:[/I]
    [B]urpmi --auto-select --auto[/B]
    Since Mandriva 2007 is in RC, cooker is frozen until it's finalized; in other words, all packages in cooker will actually be updates for 2007. After that, cooker will once again be where the bleeding-edge packages go, so if you want to stick with 2007, remember to remove the cooker mirrors when 2007 goes gold!

4. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

I have seen screnies of Mandriva 2007, it looks the same as 2006, whats the difference? :s

5. Addis

Addis The King

Looks aren't everything, there are changes which you can find on the Mandriva website somewhere. The packages are updated to newer versions, and 2007 includes XGL which is great.

Thanks AT for the cooker advice, I just included the 2007 community repo as my only repository (if I remember correctly) and thats why i wasn't getting many updates.

6. Anti-Trend

7. Willz

I have been looking in those cooker mirrors, cant find a download for RC2 DVD or CD now :s

8. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Looks as though Mandriva is pushing GNOME more these days. :(

9. Anti-Trend

Mandriva has always been pretty desktop agnostic, though they issue KDE as the default desktop, and they are quite proud of their KDE menu reorganization. But you can run just about any desktop on Mandriva without any issues, including Gnome if you want.

[ot]I agree about Gnome, I think it's crap. But speaking of desktop agnostic, have you tried out FVWM-Crystal? It's a great window manager, fast, sleek and beautiful. The screenshot is on my Debian system, but it's available for Mandy too.[/ot]

Attached Files:

10. Willz

Is using XGL on debian?, i wouldent call it beautifull tho, maybe it is compared to the stock tho.

11. Anti-Trend

[ot]
    No that's not XGL, XGL's a 3D proxy for window managers not a window manager itself. It's actually a stock FVWM-Crystal desktop, which only needs a few megs of RAM to run. That caption even says that. :)[/ot]