Massive Crysis Artifacts...Possible GFX Card Death?

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by dabooga, Nov 8, 2009.

1. dabooga

dabooga Geek Trainee

Not sure if this is the correct forum but I've recently installed Crysis again after a year of when i used to play it on the same hardware with no problems.

I install it this time, and to my dismay, artifacts galore.

I have tried all graphic settings, I have reapplied thermal grease to my cards heatsink, reinstalled the game and drivers with no luck.... Does this mean my card is finally dying??? :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SPEC:
    CPU - Q6600 : 2.40GHZ
    RAM - 2GB DDR2 Ballistix
    GFX - ATi Radeon X1950Pro AGP
    MOBO - ASrock 4coredual-sata
    PSU - Corsair 620w

PS. i dont overclock
    PS2. i have also installed Crysis Warhead with the same results. No other games give/gave me artifacts apart from these two.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Based on your description and screenshots, I'd say it looks more like a problem with the rendering path than with the card itself. The most obvious solution might be to reinstall the latest available DirectX, then reinstall the latest chipset drivers for your mobo and the latest graphics drivers from ATI. If none of that works after the numerous reboots required, take a look at your northbridge. Crysis is rather hard on all your components, so it might be overheating.

3. dabooga

dabooga Geek Trainee

Thanks, ill try that now. What program monitors the chipset/northbridge temps?

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Definately replace the VIA 4-in-1 drivers with the latest, reinstall DirectX, and install the latest ATI drivers before you bother with the northbridge. I suspect the problem is software-related.

About monitoring the mobo temps in Windows... I've been out of the Windows scene for many years, so I can't give you first hand advice about that. However, a cursory Google search gave some possibilities:

If you don't like any of the above, you can always use the system health dialog within the BIOS itself.