Max Overclock ?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by ProcalX, Dec 5, 2004.

1. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Whilst bored today i thought i would try to overclock my AMD64 3200+ to the highest stable OC i could get.

Anyway, some details:
    Default: - :: OC'ed:
    CPU Voltage: 1.40V :: CPU Voltage: 1.41V
    DDR Voltage: 2.65V :: DDR Voltage: 2.69-2.71V
    AGP Voltage: 1.60V :: AGP Voltage: 1.60V

FSB Set to: 230Mhz
    AGP Set to: 66Mhz (Locked)

OC: 2300Mhz (from a default clock of speed of 2040mhz)

Now i've tried lowering my Mutiplier from 10 to 9, and upping the FSB until i get a unstable OC, then i would increase the DDR Voltage by +0.1 or in my case.

After alot of tests i have found that i cannot increase my DDR Voltage, i also wondered if my memory would go higher that 239mhz, so i lowered my multiplier to x9 and overclocked stabaly to 245Mhz.

I can run: 239Mhz x10 = 2390Mhz @ 2.69V
    I can run: 245Mhz x 9 = 2205Mhz @ 2.69V

And not once has my CPU gone past 39C Idle.

I've been running @ 2300Mhz (239Mhz FSB x10 Mutiplier) for 2 hours now, with F@H running and a looping 3DMark01SE and my CPU temp has not risen above 45.0C

I Presume by this that my memory is what is holding me back?

I brought the Geil Value ram because it was supposed to be able to do 2.6-2.95V with no problems, and obviously you need to increase your V on the DDR for a stable overclock..

2. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Ok, so i checked out Abits site and it turns out in last week they have released a new bios update, flashed my bios from version 15 to version 17, and i can now increase the DDR V without any problems.

For some reason, i cannot even get a stable OC of more than 2200Mhz..

Default it runs at 2040Mhz...

ARGH, so annoying.

3. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

trying to OC to beat waffle? :)

4. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

No that'll never happen if he's 8 seconds per frame lol

For some reason, after several hours of trying to OC my machine, testing, memtest e.t.c after each 5Mhz increment, i can't get a stable overclock of more than 2200Mhz, as i was OC'ing gradually it seemed as if my overclocking ability was being slowly decreased with time..

At one time i got a stable OC of 2390Mhz, then 2350Mhz, then 2300Mhz, then 2250.. inbetween trying other OC's that didn't work.

:confused:

5. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

athlon 3400...loses to....2800 prescott.....it makes no sense at all does it? (yes i know clockspeeds are different yadayada, but surely it should murder my chip?!

6. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Yeh but the Prescott does perform better with purely CPU intensive applications i believe, + the 3400 is 754Pin as well, im 939 although there is only a 5-10% increase in performance.

7. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Ok so it turns out that i got the wrong end of the stick and was reading a review on memory that was the Geil Ultra lol :good:

apparently 220Mhz from 200Mhz is reasonable.. personally i think you should be able to get more, but thats just me..

8. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

just depends what chips yous got en dem ramz. well 20mhz is better than none at all

9. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

I found the problem, being rather new to the whole AMD64 and having not read up on the design of the technology I did not know that adjusting the LTD (Hyper Transport Multiplier) affects your OC, as i did not know that it effected it.

None the less when i get home tonight, hopefully i'll be able to overclock more.