Maximum overclocking on stock

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by cloud17, Jun 30, 2007.

1. cloud17

cloud17 Geek Trainee

I thought we could get a big thred going with everyones experiance of overclocking on stock and there results, then anyone who buys a new processor/gfx card can sqeeze the most out of it without buying new stuff.

here is what i have done so far with the Pentium D 3.4ghz on stock cooling and no air flow

so far i have put the bus speed up to 225 resulting over 3.8ghz and it still under gaming does not rise above 55*c which is a safe temp. have not odne anything fansy yet like vaise volts but i will continu

2. Dracos

Dracos Geek

you must be livin in syberia or somewhere having arctic conditions than :D

i can't imagine that cpu not getting burned at all but overloading with a game is out of case i think

don't try that i suppose it won't turn into a coal if you do :doh:

by the way, i corcern a real game like stalker or that kind of fps, needing a boost on the system all over

3. rimmer

rimmer Geek

Well I recently got 2.5GHz with my Athlon 64 3200+ Venice which stock speed is 2GHz, and since my RAM is DDR333, I set it to DDR200 in BIOS to divide it and it runs at 332MHz effective, hardly any perfomance lost there, plus Hyper Transport frequency is at 4, giving me a full 1000MHz bus speed, no loss at all in that area, it runs stable as hell with every test on PRIME95 and this is with volts at 1.45 (stock 1.35/1.4v)

As for temperatures, 32 degrees C idle, 37 Degrees C full load, and this is with a standard akasa sink, mind the base of it is copper and there is a side funnel vent going streight to the fan, plus a 12cm intake on the side with 80mm outake on the back.

Case temp varies between 22 and 26 Degrees C as with room temperature.

4. edijs

edijs Programmer

XFX GeForce 7600GS 256MB (AGP 8x):

Defaults:

Core @ 400Mhz
    Memory @ 266Mhz x 2

Highest *safe* overclock:

Core @ 510Mhz
    Memory @ 390Mhz x 2

NOTE: and that with all stock cooling.

5. rimmer

rimmer Geek

nice o/c there, do ya reckon that would put up a challenge for the card up, the 7600GT ?

6. edijs

edijs Programmer

rimmer, exactly - that was what I was basically after when I bought this card. I knew that I could run a GS on my PSU, but wasn't sure about a GT; then I found out that the GS and the GT are the same apart from the memory types (GS - DDR2 and GT - DDR3) and clocks. Well, I couldn't change anything about that memory, but about the clocks, well, that was a thing I had something to say there :p . So now basically I have a GTS actually rather than simply a GS. :D

7. rimmer

rimmer Geek

nice, personally, just 3 weeks ago-ish, I had to get a new motherboard, and did away with my old nFORCE3 board (Trust me: NEVER buy ePoX Motherboards, they are sh*t) and went off and bought a Gigabyte mATX one with an nFORCE430 chipset. I have just finished with AGP completely, gave my old GeForce 6600 to my dad's PC, quite an upgrade from his old SIS built on. My new board has PCI-E and built on GeForce 6150. So at the moment I am using the built on until I have enough for a 79xx graphic card, havn't decided yet which one.

8. zeus

zeus out of date

I had my Pentium 4a 2ghz (Northwood B0) running at 2.5ghz on stock. The temp went up about 5c, it idled at 40c and peaked at 45c.

I bought a coolermaster cheapo upgrade which brought the idle down to about 20c and peaked at 30c, though usually 25c. The thing just packed up one day.

I accidently put a wrong cpu in an old motherboard which had 2v pumped into it instead of 1.4v (or something like that) The thing smoked, the stock cooling wasnt good enough :)

9. rimmer

rimmer Geek

The last CPu I fried was my old Athlon Tbird 1333MHz. I shoved the maximum volts available from BIOS into it, didn't dop anything, so i tried no cooling, the middle squary shaped thing on the older athlon CPu's just fried. It never turned on again...