Members

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by pelvis_3, Jan 8, 2006.

1. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

I was scrolling through the members list recently and i noticed that there were many registered users that had almost no
    posts and most of which haven't logged on in well over 6 months to a year.
    What if we sent an email out asking that you login for your account to remain active, so it could wipe many unused accounts from the system.
    I think that's a good idea as it frees up some inactive usernames and becuase many people have joined in the past and never returned.
    I was thinking maybe sending a warning email and giving them a certain amount of time in which they can log in to keep their account active.
    Deleting accounts with zero posts after six months, or maybe a year probably wouldn't hurt except that the total member count drops,
    which mind you, i think is deemed important. Otherwise, I don't see the need for these un-used accounts.

pelvis_3

2. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

I suppose it might help the server but until it is needed I see no point. Itd drop the total members and Sniper would have more work to do.

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I can really see both sides of this, free up some space, yet make it look like we're loosing or banning a lot of people as the majority of this sites users are the 5 post and leave type unfortunately (sounds harsh but you can see that if you scroll though I know).

4. Addis

Addis The King

If this is to be done, only with members with 0 posts, but I don't think theres a problem with it. Apart from posting we also have the arcade, and whether deleting member records will screw with the high score boards.

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

True I never though of that. And now that I think of it there's probably plenty of members that are on alot but just don't post which can still mean they get something out of it. So by saying last activity does that mean last post or last time logged on?

6. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

That is the nature of this board after all. People come to this board for troubleshooting and advice, and once they have the information, they are through. I can't see anything wrong with that, and I'm sure we have all done this on other boards - I know I have :p

The problem with deleting accounts is that the user may experience another problem sometime in the future, and he isn't going to be too happy when he realises his account has been de-activated. He would probably join another board instead of signing up with us again.

7. pelvis_3

All good points.
    But what i was mainly suggesting was reminder emails, not just deletion of memberships.
    Just like an email system, you get an email stating that your account will be cloed in xx amount of time if you don't log in, then if you don't log in by that time your account will be suspended. Give them a further amount of time in which to log in or it'll be deleted.
    Catch my drift?

8. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Good idea. But I mean if you haven't been active at all for years then I can hardly see the point in keeping those guys on after the email time frame ends.

9. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Currently all *new* users get deleted if they don't activate their account with in 10 days. This was done last month, when over 400 members were deleted with just one click to start with.

It would be a good idea to disable inactive accounts but its not currently possible to do so.

10. pelvis_3

Point taken :)
    400 in one month, that's crazy!
    Any reason why?

11. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

they all had 0 posts and didn't activate their accounts.

12. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I've just been browsing through the members list, and I see your point Pelvis_3. Some of the members registered 3 to 4 years ago, and haven't posted since. I think it's pretty safe to assume they aren't coming back!