Memory Trouble

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by ukiman, Apr 30, 2003.

1. ukiman

ukiman Geek Trainee

I recently bought a new motherboard Abit NF7-S and 2x256MB of memory. The memory is Kingston PC2700 which works on 333Mhz, but during booting, on P.O.S.T. screen it says that memory frequency is 266Mhz !??
    I've updated my BIOS with the newest one, loaded setup defaults, tried fooling around with some other settings but it's still the same.
    Nevertheless, the system runs as stable as can be aspected, so it doesn't look like faulty memory.
    Any ideas, please ???

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

There's nothing wrong with that speed, and from all my experiences, that should be normal. You'll have to go into BIOS and manually set the memory to run at that speed. It should be some sort of setting with a name like "CPU to FSB (or memory) ratio". Don't adjust the FSB (an entirely different setting), unless you want to overclock.

I'm not entirely positive, but this is probably in the CPU Softmenu III portion of your BIOS.
    The memory is fine, as far as I can tell. It's just a single setting that needs to be changed.

The probably reason that the RAM runs at the slowest setting is probably to prevent stability issues from the start. PC2100(266) DDR is the likeliest slowest memory speed in use.

Check your manual to see where the settings are.

3. ukiman

ukiman Geek Trainee

I've got it.
    The new BIOS had set the CPU FSB/DRAM ratio to AUTO, but when I changed it back to "By SPD", it worked just fine...
    Thanks !!!