Memory upgradation tips needed

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by hardino, Sep 23, 2012.

1. hardino

hardino Geek

My pc configuration is as follows:

Intel Pentium(R)Dual-Core CPU E5700 @3.00 GHz
    3.00Ghz, 2.00 GB OF Ram

I wish to upgrade to 4GB ram.While selecting the memory card is the aspect of compatibility needs to be considered?

If so what would be the ideal one for my computer configuration?

thanks in advance.

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

First you need to find out if your motherboard will support 4 gigs of ram..next would number of memory slots you have..

3. hardino

hardino Geek

First of all thank you very much for your reply Ghostman 1.Well my motherboard is P5G41T-MLX
    I found that in the outer cover of the motherboard.It says it also supports Intel Core 2 extreme, Intel Core 2(Quad).That's only the information i got regarding the motherboard.The number of memory slots is two.

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

That Motherboard is an Asus, and can hold 8 gigs of ram.. is it a 775 socket motherboard... Your ram would be DDR3 - pc3-10600 240 pin..

5. hardino

hardino Geek

Thank you very much ghostman 1.So in one memory slot i already have 1 gb of ram.My graphics card memory is Geforce 210 1GB DDR3(together 2gb ram)
    So will i be able to fix in the second memory slot ram of another 4gb DDR3 - pc3-10600 240 pin.(so i should ask the dealer for this model type of ram)

I found in the backcover of the motherboard the following specifications:

G41+ICH7
    45nm CPU support
    LGA775 CPU
    DDR3 1333 (O.C)
    EIST
    8 Channel Audio
    SATA 3gb/s
    PCI Express X16
    Gbit LAN
    USB 2.0
    Crashfree BIOS 3
    EZ Flash 2
    Q-Fan
    AI NET2
    MyLogo2

6. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Your Video card has nothing to do with your computer memory, If your computer has 4 slots and you want to max the ram out to 8 gigs, you can either go with 4-2gig sticks, or with 2-4 gigs sticks...They ALL must be the same...

7. hardino

hardino Geek

well, my motherboard contains two memory slots.in one slot a memory of 1gb ram.second slot is empty.can i fill that slot with another 3gb or 4gb ram.

what model type of ram should i ask the dealer?

8. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Ok, You have 2-slots, TURN OFF your computer, Remove the power cord, Next push the start button to release all power from the power supply, Next remove the side cover, Next remove the 1-gig of ram that is in there now... Now write down all the info from that ram chip..Put back the 1 gig ram chip, Make sure you install it back the right way, It should only fit in one way.. Next put everything back together.. Now you can post what you find here to me, Or do a Google search for the new ones..
    What Operating System do you have ?

9. hardino

hardino Geek

My operating system is:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional Version 2002
    Service Pack 2

ram chip details are as follows:
    ZION
    ZHY
    2GB DDR3 PC 1333 8
    Infinite Technologies
    Dynamic RAM

10. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Do you know if your System is 32 bit or 64 bit ? If your using windows XP 32 bit, then you can Only use 4 gigs of ram, because windows OS will only recognized 3.25 gigs of ram.. If your system is 64bit , then you can use the whole 8 gigs.. I would just buy Another 2 Gig chip,,DDR3 PC1333 ...

11. hardino

hardino Geek

so i must buy another ram chip of the same i have with one already.well my system is 32 bit.is it possible to upgrade to 64 bit.then what should i do to upgrade to 64 bit?

i bought 2gb ddr3 pc 1333 8(but when i found in the my computer properties it is read as 1gb ram(graphics card memory 1gb ddr2)

12. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Your Graphics card HAS Nothing to do with your Ram/Memory.. Those are two different things.. Your Memory you need is DDR3 and NOT DDR2,
    As for 64 bit system, Unless you are going to spend the money for 8 gigs for 64 bit, Then stick with 32 bit.. You might want to upgrade to Windows 7 32 bit.
    With 4 gigs of ram, Your Machine should run real good with that combo..

13. hardino

hardino Geek

So i have to buy another ram chip of 2gb ddr3 pc 1333 8 to make it to 3.25 gb ram.This is what i have to specify to the dealer while buying ram chip.
    Any other model type of ram chip supports my pc?if the above ram chip not in stock.

14. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Your Ram/Memory chips MUST MATCH, they can be by different brands, but the must be the same in numbers.. So you already have a 2 gig chip that is DDR3 PC1333,
    So you will want to buy another 2 gig chip the same, But it can be a different brand name, I would just take out the one you have, and rap it up in something and take it with you... Have them match up to yours,,

15. hardino

hardino Geek

O.K. i will do it as you suggest.is 2 gig chip ram only one available in the market.for example is there ram chip of3gig or 4gig.Is there such ram chips?

And one more doubt regarding the processor speed.can we increase the speed.Mine processor speed is :
    Intel Pentium(R)Dual-Core CPU E5700 @3.00 GHz
    is this the maximum speed or can i upgrade to higher in future with ASUS motherboard?

16. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Ram only comes in 1gig 2 gig 4gig and 8 gig... NO 3 gig chips, BUT you can run 1-2gig chip with a 1gig chip to give you 3 gigs,,,,your cpu, might be able to overclock your cpu, IF you have that Option in your Bios..for upgrade info on your cpu, You will have to do some research on your Motherboard..

17. hardino

hardino Geek

well.is it reliable to purchase ram chips online through flipkart etc.. or any other e-commerce websites.
    Do you know about any other reliable online e-commerce websites related to computer components and peripherals where i can purchase online?

18. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

That Depends all on where you are at ? Where are you located ? Newegg.com is real good for one,TigerDirect.com....

19. hardino

hardino Geek

i am from kerala a state in india.

20. hardino

hardino Geek