Microphone very quiet.

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by thomas234, Jan 17, 2009.

1. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Hi,

On my Granddads PC, the microphone input is very quiet using any microphone, on either front or back input sockets. I am 99% certain that it is not a software related problem, as I've been through every setting and option that I can see, although I am going to try removing and re-installing the sound drivers.

The current sound card is built in, and my question is, if we bought a cheap sound card, would the front microphone socket plug into the sound card - when I built this PC, there was a socket on the motherboard. But I can't see any reference to such a socket on a generic cheapo sound card.

Thanks! Thomas

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

have you tried using a different microphone or tried the current one on another machine?

as for using another sound card, not sure how that would work, will look into it.

3. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Yes we tried 2 microphones on his, and both were quiet. I tried one of them on my laptop and it was as load as we expected (much better than on his). I didn't re-install everything, but my Granddad says he's done that already :(

I've been researching some low-end sound cards, and in their instruction manuals I can see no mention of a front panel connection. He said he can live with just leaving the micrphone plugged in, which I think is what we'll do!

Thanks! Thomas

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

On most sound cards there's a "Mic boost" switch in the sound options. Does this card have one?

5. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Yes, it gets even worse if we switch it off! :eek:

Thanks!