Microsoft debuts security package

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by megamaced, Jun 1, 2006.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Users worried about staying safe online will soon be able to get software to protect their home PC direct from Microsoft.

The software giant's first security product goes on sale in the US from 1 June and will become available in other countries over the next 12 months.

The product, dubbed OneCare, rolls anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall programs into one package.

OneCare costs $49.95 (£26.50) to protect three computers for a year.

Story continued at BBC¦News

What a great way to make money! :confused: Make the Operating System as insecure as hell and then make money selling Anti-virus products.....

2. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

:S Typical Microsoft

3. Addis

Addis The King

Subscription based security?! Unbelievable. If the OS wasn't so damn insecure in the first place then there wouldn't be a problem.

I'm guessing Ballmer started this.

I just got internet working on my main windows PC. Its the AXP 2700 box. Edit: I just made this psot in the wrong thread. Was meant to be in the DC forums!

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Will it sell? Probably. However, I like paying for my software once...don't know about everyone else here. Although, the pricing isn't bad if you're going to pay for an AV program, given what Symantec is doing with NAV.

5. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Well, it has to be other way around according to me as it have been from long time. Instead of making patches in the antivirus software, microsoft has to make patches for their own operating system. But according to this new onecare antivirus, the only thing is coming in my mind is that microsoft will start making bugs in his windows by himself. As he knows that how to fix it, so he will have a patch in its AntiVirus already. This will increase their sales in OneCare software.
    For OS Vista's sale, they will never bother because it always comes with companys PC's and maximum people are happy to buy it. I am just waiting for the day when Linux will be so user friendly that a noob can be easily able to work on it.

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Milk shot out of my nose when I read "Microsoft" and "security" in the same sentence. [ot]OK, it was beer. But I was making a point. :)[/ot]

7. syngod

syngod Moderator

I'm hoping they ended up fixing the two major issues I had while beta testing it.

After installing it would reboot and Nero would say that the ASPI drivers were incorrect & attempt to fix it, which happened to have the side effect of causing a blue screen everytime you put in a cd or dvd to be burned.

The other major issue I found was it wouldn't want to uninstall itself, you ended up having to go in an disable services, edit the registry, shut down the firewall included in the app from the command prompt, have to run the office file cleanup app, etc. It wasn't exactly the most user friendly uninstall app I've seen.

If they fixed the major bugs like these before they let it go live it should be an ok app. After all MS should be able to hook it right into the OS so the anti-virus should hopefully be able to find and clean what other AV programs might not be able to get at.

8. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

lol........Anti

9. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yeah i agree with everyone its really dumb how microsoft has to sqeeze money out of everybody and the vast majority of people don't even realize that windows is the only OS that has serious security issues, and in Joe's mind this is the perfect fix so of course he'll go to microsoft, not to mention that mircosoft will most likely make deals with large companies like Best Buy, Geek Squad to push their product. Its sad, durn them and there monoploy like structure

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I really doubt Microsoft is purposely putting in bugs. Yes, this is Microsoft, but given that no software or OS is bug-free, why would you want to add additional bugs to what's inevitably going to be there. I'm sure MS is well aware of this fact. Microsoft could've very well included an anti-virus for free in Vista, but doing it this way is more profitable while undercutting NAV and McAfee...then again, those aren't the best AV programs out there, but certainly the most popular.

11. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

speaking of which B, what is the best AV program(s) out there?