Microsoft: Open source 'not reliable or dependable'

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by megamaced, May 22, 2006.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Here's some more FUD for you....

The software giant characterises open source as mainly of interest to local community projects, without the benefits of a commercial model

A senior Microsoft executive told a BBC World documentary that people should use commercial software if they're looking for stability.

"I don't think [open source] is anti-Microsoft in the sense that it's giving people choices in the technologies that they use," Jonathan Murray, the vice-president and chief technology officer of Microsoft Europe, told BBC World in the first part of the documentary "The Code Breakers", which aired this week.

"Some people want to use community-based software, and they get value out of sharing with other people in the community. Other people want the reliability and the dependability that comes from a commercial software model. And again, at the end of the day you make the choice based on what has the highest value to you," Murray continued.

Story contined at ZDNET

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, there's going to be problems with any software, so it's a little hard to state that Open source is better than closed source. I don't know if this is true across the board, but SuSe and Mandriva have robust control panel's and updating programs.

Is there something I'm missing here?

3. Someone28624

Someone28624 Big Geek

News:
    There, I fixed the title.