Microsoft Private Folder 1.0

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by megamaced, Jul 11, 2006.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Microsoft has introduced Private Folder 1.0, free software that lets people store sensitive data on their home or work computers in a password-protected folder

Story at C|NET

I am suprised that Microsoft are giving away something for free! The Private folder program creates one folder similar to the My Documents folder, and stores it on the desktop. When the folder is accessed, a password is required.

It's a good idea, but the downside is that it only works with the folder it creates. I was hoping that i'd be able to right-click any folder a choose 'password protect' or something similar. Unfortunately not. Definately worth a download though.

2. zeus

zeus out of date

I think you said it all there. I remember years and years ago compressing folders just to add a password. There are probably apps which can do this but it just means installing sometihng else. I hate having little "fill the gaps" programs on my comp.

Windows needs a right click image converter too. Even if it was just between bmp and jpeg, with a little scale down 75%, 50% option. I go into paint for every picture I want to do that with.

Nice find. Ill try that sometime soon.

3. megamaced

After only a few days of it's release, Private Folder has been taken offline and is no longer available for download.

More at C|NET

Good job I downloaded it in time :) I think i've still got the installer if anybody wants a copy

4. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

yes mate, i would really like 2 get me hands on a copy, how am i going to get it from you?

5. megamaced

I don't think Microsoft have taken it down yet, so you can still download it by clicking here. You must verify your copy of XP with Microsoft first though, before you can install it.

Alternatively, just PM me your email and i'll send it to you. I think the installer size is about 2 or 5MB, so you need to make sure your email provider will allow you to receive that filesize

6. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

im guess by PM u mean private message? ive sent u my email via that method anyway, but havent heard anything, maybe i cant revieve files or something..

7. megamaced

No I haven't forgotten, but I just haven't had time. I've been away for a few days. The last two days have been shocking and I need to sit down, relax and refocus...

I'll email the installer to you tomorrow, and anyone else who wants it

8. megamaced

9. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

hello,

thanks for emailing me MS private folder, but as i suspected i couldnt recieve files, but i have followed the link in your previous thread and downloaded it from the link. cheers!

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

:p No problem, hehe

11. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

yes and thanks for hosting the file on your site too!:rolleyes:

12. megamaced

Private Folder was removed because Microsoft received lots of complaints from systems administrators. They argued that employees would utilise this program at work to lock out important documents from the administrators by hiding them in their password protected folders.

Now there is something clearly wrong with that statement. To install Private Folder, you would require adminstrative privileges at work. So what these administrators are saying is that they give administrative privileges to all their work collegues. And if that's the case, well they deserve everything that comes to them. :devil:

Microsoft Private Folder wasn't that great a product anyway, but I'd rather have it then not. It's a shame it had to go just because of a few silly administrators who don't know their arse from their elbow.

MCSE = Must Call Someone Else