Microsoft restructures with need for speed

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by syngod, Sep 21, 2005.

1. syngod

syngod Moderator

Microsoft has announced that it is to streamline its business in a bid to "speed up decision making".

Chief executive Steve Ballmer outlined plans yesterday to slim down the company's seven business units into three, each with its own president. The three units will comprise:
    • Platform Products & Services (including Windows, MSN, and the Server & Tools division)
    • Business (including Office and Microsoft Business Solutions)
    • Entertainment & Devices (including Xbox and the Mobile Devices group)

Microsoft also announced the pending retirement of Jim Allchin, a 15-year Microsoft veteran who has run development for every version of Microsoft's operating system since Windows 98. He will retire after Windows Vista ships at the end of next year.

Meanwhile Ray Ozzie, chief technical officer and creator of Lotus Notes, who joined this year when Microsoft bought his company Groove Networks, gets an expanded role to include the group's strategy in software-based services.

Microsoft has rejected suggestions that it is realigning in light of the growing strength of companies such as Google and eBay, insisting that it represents a more efficient way to do business.

"Our goal in making these changes is to enable Microsoft to achieve greater agility in managing the incredible growth ahead and executing our software-based services strategy," said Ballmer.

However, the fact that the software giant will continue to report its financial results under the seven business units leads some to question how far the restructuring really goes.

The reorganisation has been closely scrutinised by Microsoft's small army of bloggers. One working under the title Mini-Microsoft suggested that it may be good for staff morale.

"Thank goodness. I felt like we've at least been thrown a bone. Microsoft certainly needed a reorganisation - something like a good, vigorous shaking of one of those snow-globes," he wrote.

"How it's all going to play remains to be seen. But I hope that, as part of the good shaking, some of the crust breaks off and gets swept out and some of the cream rises to the top."

Source: VNUNet

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

"... greater agility in managing the incredible growth ahead and executing our software-based services strategy"

he doesn't get it, google will always win.

3. syngod

syngod Moderator

I wouldn't say Google will always win, while they may be considered the internet darling today there is quite a bit of backlash starting to come against them.

They've been trying to get into to many areas which has been concerning quite a few companies in silicon valley and they are beginning to get compared to MS a few years ago.

However Google's and MS's cash cows are two different fields. Google may continue to dominate when MS is finished with they're new MSN search engine, but MS still has the OS and Office market that Google doesn't.

Even if Google or any other company where to come out with an OS tommorrow it would take years if it could ever overtake Windows. With Google though if someone comes out with a better search Google could easily be dead in the water, after all look at what happened to Alta Vista went from being the search leader to non-existant.

Don't get me wrong with this post, Google has a great product and I use it all the time but I'd hardly consider them infallible.

BTW the main reason for MS combining the divisions is so that it will hopefully cut back on the delays they're products tend to run into, after Vista's 3 year postponment this will hopefully allow them to avoid a similar delay in Blackcomb.