Microsoft to buy a stake in Yahoo?

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by megamaced, May 3, 2006.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Source: CNET

Software giant Microsoft has held discussions to buy a stake in Internet media company Yahoo to compete against Google, The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday.

Although talks over an equity stake do not appear active, Microsoft's top management remains open to a deal with Yahoo as pressure grows from shareholders to perform better against Google, the newspaper cited people familiar with the situation as saying.

Microsoft and Yahoo have discussed possible options over the past year, the newspaper said. Microsoft could sell its MSN online network to Yahoo and take a minority stake in the Internet portal, it said.

Last year, Microsoft had been negotiating to strike a partnership with Time Warner's AOL Internet unit, but it was shut out when Google agreed to invest in a 5 percent stake in AOL. Microsoft had been in talks with AOL to use its search technology, which would have given the software giant's fledgling paid-search business a big boost.

Microsoft's earnings outlook last week fell well short of Wall Street expectations, as the company signaled more investments for its software services business.

Analysts said Microsoft planned to spend an additional $2 billion in the coming fiscal year starting July 1, speculating that much of that investment would go toward building an ad-supported online service business.

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

google seems to be pain in the ass for all other companies, more fo the Microsoft and Yahoo....... I dont know what's the reason but I like google though...

Hey Mega, you work for Yahoo, how do you feel about this? what are your comments?

3. megamaced

Well to be honest with you, I really couldn't give a :swear: ! As long as my pay check keeps rolling in at the end of the month, I am happy. Besides, I won't be working there for much longer

4. Karanislove

Bad fellow..hehe...I like it!

5. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

So, Mega ... what do u do in Yahoo? :p

6. megamaced

Oh I just clean the toilets... :D

7. Karanislove

lol....

Dear Russian, info. is confidencial.

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Gotta start somewhere...was doing the same thing for about seven years myself here until recently.

9. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Hehe HWF Toilet Cleaner ^_^

10. megamaced

Guys, It was supposed to be a joke :)

If you must know DaRuSsIaMaN, I am a sales agent for Yahoo Sponsored listings!

11. Karanislove

And you are studying part time as well~! Spectecular....

12. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Lol, we know it was a joke! ;p ... I was gonna say, on your other thread: "Congrats Mega, u're moving up from Yahoo toilets to Microsoft toilets!"

Ah, that's cool, even though I'm not totally sure I know what that means heh.

13. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

seems that google pisses everyone off
    must be doing something right :p