Microsoft To Ditch Passwords

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by syngod, Mar 17, 2005.

1. syngod

syngod Moderator

Microsoft has revealed at a security panel at CeBIT that it is preparing to dump passwords in favor of two-factor authentication in forthcoming versions of Windows.

Detlef Eckert, the senior director in charge of Microsoft's Trustworthy Computing initiative, did not specify which form of two-factor authentication would be used in the next edition of the company's operating system, codenamed Longhorn.

But he said that the code would have vastly improved handling of technologies including smartcards and security tokens.

"I believe that the time of password-only authentication is gone," said Eckert. "We need to go to two-factor authentication. This is the only way to bring the level of trust business needs."

View the rest of the article at CIO Today.

2. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Ooo sounds like an interesting prospect. I want a pc like what they have on top secret doors in films where it scans ur eye and handprint b4 it lets u in. Not that I really have nething on my pc of massive importance it would just be cool. Now im rabling coz i cant sleep.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

From the Networking & Security FAQ:

Q: I don't have any important files that a hacker would be interested in. Why should I be concerned about security, anyway?

A: Security is everyone's responsibility. Even if you do not mind your own system being compromised, you should be aware of the possible repercussions. If your system falls into the hands of a hacker, it is now their tool to do with as they please. Indeed, once your system is compromised the hacker likely has more control over your computer than you do! Using your system, they can attack other innocent systems or websites, steal credit card info, spread viruses & junk email, or even scan or attack government websites which are monitored by the FBI. And guess who the attacks would be traced back to -- yep, it's you. With a few precautions and a little added awareness, you can both avoid these dangers and make the Internet a better place for everyone.

By the way, from my perspective the thing MS Windows needs to vastly improve is not as much its passwords but its overall approach to security. It's much easier to just change the password than to crack it, as was the method with L0ft Crack. It seems MS is finally addressing issues raised in the late 90's, but still seem to be woefully behind.

4. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Oh yeah I kno everything on my pc is protected..its just not of imprtance