Microsoft Warms Up to Linux

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by syngod, Jul 28, 2005.

1. syngod

syngod Moderator

For those rabid, open-source conspiracy theorists still holding on to the popular notion that Microsoft is secretly working on its own version of the Linux operating system, Bill Hilf has some sobering news.

"The bottom line is, we're wholly, 100 percent committed to Windows and think we can do amazingly powerful things in the operating system," says Hilf, director of platform technology strategy at the Redmond, Washington-based software giant. "There's a ton of stuff we can do to innovate. We don't see that level of innovation [in Linux] that makes us say there's [anything] out there that's better than or more effective than what we can do."

Hilf, who runs Microsoft's Linux/Open Source lab, says he's heard a million varieties of the question about whether Microsoft is working on its own Linux implementation, so many that "I should write a book about them all," he joked in an interview this week.

"The conspiracy theories are ripe," Hilf says. "I've had people come up to me and tell me, 'I know that Longhorn is built on a Linux kernel.'"

Read the rest of the article at PC World.