Modem/router.

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by Reshma Adhikari, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Reshma Adhikari

Reshma Adhikari Geek Trainee

i have had TP-link 8817 router i bought about eighteen months ago.at the beginning the router was working fine,the indicator light of the adsl line ,LAN as well as data/internet running was perfect.the internet was ON as soon as my computer was ON.And the setting was easy to.all that needed to be done was put in the hardware CD in the drive then just follow the step.i went to Zivelo Kiosk manufacturer to see their models of the modem/router as my friend had their brand and it was doing ok and they were also saying that it gave very good speed.but tp-link is way cheaper and i am confused nowadays that i have to wait for like 5-6 minutes until the internet is ON,and the internet speed is also about 50% of the bandwidth offered by my ISP.
    is the router the problem or phone line or some virus is there?i am so confused but i have heard somewhere that the main problem regarding the internet is the router and then other reasons like virus ,phone line,etc are secondary.what do you guys recommend?buying a new branded router like my friend suggested or theres other things i need to look at to improve my internet setting in my computer?please be kind and give your best answers.

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I wouldn't go out and buy another router just yet, First can you hook up your connection straight without a router ? Next , check your phone lines for cracks or pin holes..
    I had to change my phone line twice... Last, A router will loose some of its speed, but not half..I would also Scan for any Viruses, you can get a AntiVirus for FREE..
    I use Avast... It works Great... Good luck..

3. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

Hi,

Somtimes too your router and cable modem need to be reset. Turn both of them off, then power on the cable modem, let it cycle up for a few seconds, then power on your router and let it run for 10-20 seconds, then turn on your computer/laptop and see if that makes a difference. I have to do this with my linksys router every few months, but after that it works fine.