Monitor stuck in standby mode

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Greyfox, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Greyfox

Greyfox Geek Trainee

Windows Xp
    P4 2.4ghz
    powercolor ATI radeon 9800SE 256MB
    736MB DDR Ram
    ASrock P4VBB motherboard
    Advance ATX 400w PSU

My pc has run perfect for about 2 months now. But the other day i was on it and it suddnley crashed. I waited for a while but it still remained frozen. So i restarted it but there was no display on my mointor, it's like stuck in standby mode it's just stays on the orange light not the green. At first i thought it may of been the Video card so i swapped it with a Gforce 4 and still it stays in standby mode. It's not the monitor cause it's working fine with this pile of junk for a pc im having to use now. Anyone have any ideas whats causing this problem. Please help me this pc im having to using now is sooooooo bad it wont play any of my games :(

2. Addis

Addis The King

First clear your CMOS as it sounds like an overclock or something's gone bad.
    Refer to your motherboard manual on instructions on which jumpers to clear the CMOS with. If you can't find them then you can always pop out the battery and put it back in.

3. Greyfox

Greyfox Geek Trainee

Sorry i dont really understand what you mean there, CMOS? i get the battry thing but im sure i read somwhere that if it's inserted incorrectly it can explode or somthing like that and im a REALLY unlucky guy and id end up exploding it or somthing :confused:

4. Addis

Addis The King

Clearing your CMOS will reset your motherboard BIOS to its original settings. Don't worry all you have to do is move a jumper from one position to another and then back again to reset it. If you can't find instructions then removing and reinserting the battery will do the same thing as your BIOS will lose any changed settings.
    If you're unsure then just remove the battery. Its just a button cell battery so pop it out, and then put it back in the same way.

Greyfox likes this.
  5. Greyfox

Greyfox Geek Trainee

Addis....I LOVE YOU, thankyou so much. It worked. I thought id never fix it. I asked around on Tech pc n got nothing. Once again, thankyou. I can game again :)

6. Addis

Addis The King

No problem :).

7. Greyfox

Greyfox Geek Trainee

Damn, i seem to be having some problems again :( . It worked fine for about 2hrs or so. Then it froze on me and i had to restart. Then about 10mins later it froze again but the mointor flicked off then on again but it was still frozen. Then it went all weird colours in vertical lines and wouldnt come out of it. It's working ok now but i can see it happening again. Also is 44c hot for a video card?. It's just when i point my heat sensor thing onto my ATI radeon 9800se it shoots to 44c on the LCD screen and starts beeping away like it's warning me it's too hot. Could the crashes be caused by the softmod driver ive installed on my graphics card? should i roll it back to the orginal driver?

8. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

i think u should install the latest drivers for your ati card.and also install the directx 9.0c...if possible re-install windows..check to see whether your RAM is fitted properly..sometimes a faulty RAM will cause that problem..ive had it..n also use Spybot Search & Destroy and Adware to see whether uve got any spyware stuff on your pc..