Most Ram Any Game Can Possibly Utilize?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by SirDeity1234, Nov 9, 2015.

1. SirDeity1234

SirDeity1234 Geek Trainee

I've Googled this question before, but never found a satisfactory answer to my question. The question isn't asking what the most RAM anyone could ever possibly need would be. I'm wondering what the most RAM any game is even capable of using. For example, I would imagine a game like Terran Conflict with a massive player complex station with thousand of factories and tens of thousands of AI ship would use an insane amount of RAM (guessing upwards of 32GB+). Games like Civilization V on the HUGE size maps with the maximum number of AI opponents with hubble telescope to reveal the map would probably use a lot as well. But these are mere speculations. For all I know it is possible these games aren't programmed to be able to utilize above a certain amount of RAM.

Does anyone believe any game, no matter the circumstance, could ever use 127GB of memory? If not, what the most RAM even more extreme game under the most demanding circumstances could ever handle? Please be clear on whether your responses are based on fact or speculation. If based on fact, please provide references if available.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If it were programmed to take advantage of the maximum RAM, it would. If not now, eventually, yes. 2GB used to be a common size for a hard drive. Now, you're unlikely to see the amount of RAM on a budget system that small. However, it won't be used simply for the sake of using it. Any program that is coded in such a way that it takes up a lot of RAM without good cause is frowned upon. However, if it provides an advantage, it's welcome. You can see by comparing minimum and recommended specs for a game. Compare something modern like Crysis to the likes of Jazz Jackrabbit from the 90's. Crysis minimum is far beyond what any high-end system from the 90's was capable of running.

Excluding some exotic, custom, purpose-built system, 128GB seems to be the top-end maximum RAM for this current generation. I don't know when it won't be sufficient, but given history with 256MB, 1GB, 2GB, etc, eventually, that will be required for something.