Mother Board or CPU.... Your opinions

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by embalmer, Dec 30, 2005.

1. embalmer

embalmer Geek Trainee

For christmas I got the works 3.6 ghz cpu and the 925 chipset mobo from intel... go to test em and nothing only the green led on the mobo is working and the fans are going..... i cant seem to get the power switch to turn on the pc and i dont know why... so im like shit its the mother board.... go buy another motherboard the 915gevl or something from intel and now i only get the green led with NO fans running.... any ideas if its the mother boards or cpus?

2. harakim

harakim Big Geek

This might sound stupid, but it could be the power supply. With my old ps, the fans ran, the lights lit up, and the cd drive even spun, but it couldn't start. I put in a new power supply and it works just fine.

If everything is hooked up correctly, it could be that its too weak of a power supply also. On the other hand, it could be the cpu or motherboard. Just thought I should share.

3. embalmer

embalmer Geek Trainee

well thanks for the response but as of now im just testing out the cpu / mobo... i want to see if it tries to post and looks for ram but i cant do that if the power switch isnt working... im going out in the morning and buying a 500 watt cause right now i got the thermaltake xp480 i dont know if that helps or not

4. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

the thermaltake xp480 should be fine on that system

5. embalmer

embalmer Geek Trainee

i am just trying to figure out the solution... now say the cpu is dead and it doesnt work when i go to press on the "on" button on the case that is hooked up to the power switch headers nothing would happen right? cause if thats the case im going out in the morning and buying a 250 dollar pentium chip! :p

6. embalmer

embalmer Geek Trainee

update motherboard is now atleast posting i had to take a screw driver and jump start it but now its just giving me four beeps like a siren does for a toy car... any suggestions? i know its timer failure in the ram but does that mean bad ram?

7. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Yep, sounds like bad RAM.
    If you can, put some other RAM in there to confirm.

8. embalmer

embalmer Geek Trainee

another update got past the 4 beeps now its not doing any beeps but its shutting itself off after so many seconds i would say 10 or so and no screen is coming up

9. pelvis_3

Hmmm. Try rebuilding the PC from the ground up, remembering to insert only the bare essentials to boot it, this includes One stick of RAM as apposed to two if applicable, leaving out sound cards, network cards, SATA/IDE cards or whatever is not needed. Then from there, you can add the components one by one until you hit a snag and we'll go from there.

10. embalmer

embalmer Geek Trainee

with just the memory im getting four beeps i dont know if its bad ram or bad mother board

11. pelvis_3

Try taking the RAM out and leave the video card in and then if nothing happens do it the other way around.

12. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

When i try to boot my old computer up with no ram, i get 4 beeps, maybe the ram is not supported, or is proberbly bad, and it makes the computer think there is no ram in maybe.

13. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

have you cleared CMOS?

14. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I would also make sure the CPU heatsink is installed properly with either the thermal pad (standard on new retail CPU heatsinks).

My second though would to clear CMOS as already mentioned.

15. embalmer

embalmer Geek Trainee

everytime i clear cmos so far the computer will boot up for about 10 seconds then shut down... after i reboot it again it will give me four beeps... i just bought a new 500 watt antec atx v2.00 and when i try to boot up it boots up but then it shuts itself off making NO beeps nothing at all :p and after i reboot it again after that first time with no beeps it starts giving me beeps again... i bought the GEIL pc4300 ddr2 533 mhz dual channel 2 gb now i guess thats a cheap ram right? but from what i was reading everywhere else is that 4 beeps means the mobo is usually fried

16. harakim

harakim Big Geek

So now you have an extra case and power supply and some extra ram?

17. embalmer

embalmer Geek Trainee

heres what i got now at this moment i went out and got another asus mobo yesterday and when i boot it up i get no beeps and it brings up the boot sequence you know it brings up the black screen listing processor speed etc.... once it gets to that it shuts itself off and if i try to reboot right away it wont even get that far it will shut itself down after 2 seconds.... i dont know what the problem could be but it sounds like a power issue what do you think?

18. harakim

harakim Big Geek

If I had to guess, I'd say everything works, just not together. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will come along.

19. embalmer

embalmer Geek Trainee

problem solved... it was over heating.... another problem arises though, the cpu is running at 90 degrees celcius aka 200 something fahrenheit... mb is running at 30 degrees celcius which is normal i guess and good.... i put new thermal compound on the cpu but didnt do anything to it... any suggestions or is it safe running it that hot :p

20. pelvis_3

90*C is way too hot. A good indicator of heat is to touch the heatsink while the computer is on, if you can't comfortably hold your fingers on it, then it's too hot.
    Another possibility is faulty sensors.