Motherboard Companies

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Big B, Jan 25, 2004.

?

Motherboard brand to review

1. Shuttle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Soltek

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Soyo

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Chaintech

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Albatron

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  6. DFI

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  7. Leadtek

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Biostar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other (please specify brand)

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

So far, I have reviewed motherboards from Asus, Abit, Epox, Gigabyte, and MSI.
    With the exeption of Epox, these companies are considered to be the top-tier in motherboards (excluding server-oriented SuperMicro and Tyan).
    Cast your vote as to what company you'd like to see motherboard reviews of.

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I'd like a review of a Soltek P4 board. I know their AMD boards are very good but I don't know about the Pentium side.

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I vote for DFI!

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Yeah DFI too. Quite a number of people like their "Lan Party" line but I've always been sceptical, mostly because of the price.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

They also have their Infinity line...basically the LAN Party boards w/o the UV and the loads of accessories.

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Do you have any problems getting motherboards to review, or do you have pre-arranged agreements with Mobo manufacturers? When I worked for TheInterrogator.com (formerly 3DNews.co.uk), I gave one Shuttle MoBo a bad review (OK, a scorching review :jump2: ), and no other MoBo companies except ABIT would touch us with a ten foot pole after that. :sad:

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It's more of getting a company to respond in the first place. If something is so bad that I can't actually get a system to run in the first place, it doesn't get reviewed...and is a prime factor in why there hasn't been an nForce 2 board through the site. I'm hoping that I'll be in my new job in another month here or so, and will probably look at another board to review once I get the money rolling in. I try to go for companies I haven't used before, but keep hearing good stuff about.

8. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I always found it difficult to get video cards rolling in; especially Nvidia-based ones for some reason. That was right about the time ATI came into its own with the Radeon family...

One thing you might look into is doing some base-level reviews of Linux distros; free and commercial. Suse, Redhat, Mandrake -- all these companies have been great about providing full professional suites for review. Also, there are literally 100's of free (as in libre and as in beer) Linux distros that are readily available in their full state. Just a suggestion :)

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Soltek seems to be harder to get these days, at least in the US. In a "what the hell" move, I should be receiving a Soyo KT600 board for some review. It looks like Directron may finally be the ticket for review material.

*goes back to watching Full Metal Panic*

10. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Yeah Soltek had a division in USA for some time but not anymore so that must be the reason why it's harder than other manufacturers.

11. dannnyjos

dannnyjos Big Geek

More Asus and MSI, please =)