motherboard problem

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by bean1620, Jun 6, 2006.

1. bean1620

bean1620 Geek Trainee

I have an emachine that is having a problem booting windows.after Post it goes to boot the os and i get a black screen. I formated the drive reinstalled and still black screen. I thought there was a problem with the hard drive so i got a new hard drive and still no windows. I thought maybe that there is a problem with the on board video so i put in a agp video card and still black screen.I have replaced the power supply also since ppl have told me that PS are a big problem with emachines. i have unpluged all unesential components and still nothing Im thinking that this means the mother board is gone but i dont have a spare to test with?
    The only things I havent replaced on it are the the MoBo, the Ram, and the CPU, but I was thinking that if it was either the RAm or CPU that the computer wouldnt powerup, am i right on assuming that?

Specs
    VT8532 Mobo
    Athlon XP 2200 1.8ghz
    128mb Ram
    40 GB HD

2. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Have you tried the screen with another computer?
    You said that the systemd POSTs.
    If your mobo, RAM, CPU or PSU were dead/faulty your system will not POST or will POST with warning beeps which will mean something.

Also when the PC boots can you see anything on the screen during boot?
    If it boots and posts does it start to load windows? i.e. can you see the Windows progress bar?

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

and try another monitor on your pc

P.S. Emachines also have low power PSU's, so a new PSU would be a good idea i recommend this i'm on a buget so i got a Tagen TG330-U1 good luck

4. bean1620

bean1620 Geek Trainee

I have tried a new monitor and still get the same problem. when the screen would normaly have the windows logo and the progress bar, it is black when i boot it in to safe mode it goes through the files till it gets to the mup.sys then stops. I ve googled about mup.sys errors and i seen ppl with same problem but no awnsers...

if it is not the mobo then what else could it be?

thnks

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

does it still display black if you go into safe mode ?
    try removing and reinserting the grfx card

EDIT: just reread your post, bear with me, let me have a think

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

right, are you using XP SP2 if you are boot from your XP CD and enter the recovery console login to the windows you want to fix
    type "disable mup"
    then type exit and reboot (XP may reboot automatically)

everything should now be tickerty boo

7. bean1620

bean1620 Geek Trainee

I dont have a XP recovery disk . the pc comes with a ghost drive image on a cd thats it.

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

is it XP SP2

EDIT: you neen to install the recovery console from your XP SP2 CD type "cmd.exe"
    in the run dialog and press return

this opens a command prompt

now type this command into command prompt

"d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons" (obviously you'll need to type the location of where your winnt32.exe is)
    (where d: is your CD, then reboot)
    this puts access to the recovery console in your boot menu

9. bean1620

bean1620 Geek Trainee

I dont think so, the pc is old for an xp. it only has 128 md ram! I am d/l Win Xp Corp SP2 now i have an OS X machine that i can burn the cd with. will that work?

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

So, what OS did the system come with?

11. donkey42

donkey42 plank

right you have to do somthing called slipstreaming, basically this lets you create a WinXP SP2 CD, then if you always install from that CD you will always be installing XP SP2 check this for step by step instructions
    you may have to network your pc and mac to use the CD burner
    don't worry about it XP will run with 128Mb i would recommend 256Mb or even 512Mb, personally i have 256Mb but i've not used XP for a while now, i've taken the leap to linux (Xandros) but probably not my final choice i might have another go with mandriva

12. bean1620

bean1620 Geek Trainee

let rephrase that its one of the first machines to come with XP....

whats this slip streaming , is it about burning a PC sick on a mac cause i have done that before OS X is fully capable of burning disk images its pc programs it has trouble with.

13. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well slipstreaming is the official way of making a more up to date instalation CD for WinXP, bassically you copy the XP CD to harddisk and the slipstreaming thing makes a CD image (*.iso) file for you, you will probably need to network your pc and you mac, or the CD burner in the mac may be compatable with your pc

14. bean1620

bean1620 Geek Trainee

well thats a problem cause i have no pc right now only a os x machine

15. donkey42

donkey42 plank

so how are you running XP then, on a mac ?

16. bean1620

bean1620 Geek Trainee

no the pc i have is down i can only get to the bios so i dont understand how i can use the pc to make an installation.

17. donkey42

donkey42 plank

right, yes your experiencing boot problems related to mup.sys, to rectify this error you need a WinXP SP2 CD which is what i was trying to help you to make it would be a lot easier if you could possibly borrow an XP SP2 CD, is that possible ?

this problem could be caused by bad secto on HDD, can you boot from an EBD

18. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Assuming the disc image is correctly done, you shouldn't have any issues burning it to disc under Mac OS.

19. donkey42

donkey42 plank

sorry bean1620, it was my fault, i keept misreading your replies, sorry

20. bean1620

bean1620 Geek Trainee

well i got a win xp sp2 cd today and i go and turn on my pc . now it goes to the emachine logo screen and stops dead . it doesnt have a post error. i unplugged my hard drive and it will now go into the bios , but i need my hard drive. i have tried differnt power connecters and still nothing i tried the ide cable from my cd rom and that did not work either. any ideas on this new problem?