Motherboards NorthBridge

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by II Gorn II, Jul 6, 2009.

1. II Gorn II

II Gorn II Geek

alright so on my dads computer his heatsink for the northbridge broke off

it had to little U clips that clipped it on an 1 broke

now my question is whats gonna happen sense its not on an can he get a new one or hook it on with some sort of glue or somthing

2. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Hi, you can get unversal heatsink such as the Zalman ZM-NB4J7 Zalman ZM-NB47J Passive Northbridge Heatsink - FrostyTech.com you can adjust the pins on the side to fit your motherboard. Just simply clean off the old thermal paste from the northbridge and apply with new and apply the heatsink. It's better than stock NB heatsink so should notice your NB temp drop a bit.

BTW: I wouldn't use your computer until you get the heatsink replaced because you can cause damage to the controllers on the northbridge such as your memory controller, PCI-Express x16 controller etc. because the NB will overheat.

3. II Gorn II

II Gorn II Geek

thanks for the help but im guessing damage is already done

his monitor would freak out when trying to play any games an he finally opened the tower an found the heat sink had broke off an landed on top of his graphics card

hes been running it for around a week with it off

4. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

If the machine still posts and works, you might as well get the NB replaced with the Zalman. good luck let us know how it goes :)

5. II Gorn II

II Gorn II Geek

hes just gonna leave it how it is an if it breaks hes going to build a new tower sense his is a super old HP pavilion a250n