MS Paint for Linux

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by zeus, Dec 11, 2007.

1. zeus

zeus out of date

I want to do some simple stuff with images and Gimp and Xpaint confuse the hell out of me.

Is there a paint program which is as easy to use as MS Paint for linux?

All I want to do is make an 11x14 box in 005500 colour!

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

:agree: GIMP is very hard to new users

what are you doing ? / why do you want it

cos i could maybe do it with GIMP, email me through HWF with a sketch of what you want

3. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Like this?

Attached Files:

4. zeus

zeus out of date

Thanks ferg... thats all as I was try to do.

Could I be cheeky and ask for someone to make a 2x20 gradient... 003300 on the bottom to 005500 on the top.
    Ive PMed donkey so he might be on it already.

The 005500 box looks a little flat.

Its for these boxes..... Hydro-OrganicsUK

Ignore my logo! I know its crap! Its just there to fill a space the the time being.

5. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

This ok?

All you linux fanboys saying how easy it is to use and get apps for, tut tut.

Teehee

Attached Files:

6. zeus

zeus out of date

Nice one ferg... thats spot on.

I never did like the look of GIMP and now ive had to use it I hate it! I dont like Amarok either! Plus Open Office crashes all the time! MS paint, office and WMP cant be matched imo. Though ive been forced to use Corel's Quattro pro a few times over Excel.

Thanks ferg and Donkey, ive spent 2hrs trying to make them little things!

7. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Well i'm afraid i rarely use mspaint 'cept for the odd screen capture dump.

Made those in Fireworks 8, I find this by far the easiest tool for web graphics such as this. Then i use Dreamweaver 8 to code it up.

Photoshop cs for the advanced photo editing though.

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

no probs, however, i misunderstood, i thought you wanted 2 gradient images, but NVM, you have them now

@freg: speed freak (fast work) you must know you gfx app well, i started looking for tutorials on GIMP

BTW:what app do you use ?

Edit: NVM

9. Fred

Fred Moderator

To answer your question, there are several programs you may like to try. Here are a few ideas: gpaint, tuxpaint, openoffice.org draw, and KolourPaint. From what I hear, KolourPaint is a mspaint clone. Anyhow, let me know if any of these work for what you're trying to do. I figured that rather than always relying on others when you need those little images, you can just have these on hand.

10. Addis

Addis The King

Blasphemy! Blasphemy I say!

11. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

It *is*, just obviously MS paint doesn't exist for Linux, being proprietary Microsoft software, and GIMP is really intended for advanced users. :) There are around 50 "simple" graphical apps for Linux, including an MS Paint clone called KolourPaint, which comes preinstalled with KDE in most distros.

Agreed, the heretics must be purged in the flames of hardwareforums! :jump2:

12. zeus

zeus out of date

:) I rarely backpedal but the only reason im not the biggest Amarok fan is because you cant have a page displaying the album art of your whole collection. I still use amarok everyday!

Kolourpaint is perfect for me, does just what I want.... apart from the gradient thing but mspaint couldnt do that either.

13. Anti-Trend

Yeah, too bad it doesn't do that. ...Oh wait, it does, and always has! :doh:

Attached Files:

14. zeus

zeus out of date

well bloody hell..... cover manager. Ill hve a look later.

Furture Sound of London... didnt they do Papua New Guinea? I love that tune!

15. Anti-Trend

[ot]
    Hahaha, I don't know! That seems to be the wrong album cover. :) [/ot]

16. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

[ot] AT as you make out that you don't like GNOME you really shouldn't be posting screen shots of your deskop that replicate the GNOME interface! :p [/ot]

17. Addis

Addis The King

To be fair, GNOME do not have a copyright over that interface. There's much more to it than having a toolbar at the top, otherwise there would be much more competition wouldn't there?

I don't have a problem with the GNOME interface, I just think that GTK2 as a GUI platform and toolkit is inferior to Trolltech's Qt and subclasses by KDE. Then of course there's the political differences, ever tried to make GNOME look like default KDE? It's not good I can tell you.[/ot]

18. Anti-Trend

[ot]
    There's nothing wrong with the layout of the Gnome interface, it's the fact that a) it's built with GTK, a toolkit originally designed for GIMP, *not* for a full-blown desktop, b) it's slower and uses more resources than KDE, c) it has less features than KDE, d) it is less customizable than KDE, e) Gnome seems to think their users are idiots, just ask Linus. I just don't really like the fact that KDE's default layout is a lot like Windows, so I always tweak it. If anything, the fact that I have my desktop layed out a bit like Gnome makes the case for KDE's flexibility. Try making Gnome look and feel like KDE sometime. :) [/ot]

19. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

plainly, GNOME is for new people to Linux, makes things a lot easier, frankly, when most people first use Linux you generally are an "idiot" in a sense.

20. donkey42

donkey42 plank

& some people always are