multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system 32\drivers\mup.sys

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by BehindTheLight, Jul 26, 2008.

1. BehindTheLight

BehindTheLight Geek Trainee

I am getting this along with about 30 other similiar messages when I try to go into safe mode. Cannot get into Windows at all. Computer just keeps rebooting and showing me the above errors.

Tried putting in the Windows CD to boot from, but no luck.

Any ideas?

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

boot into the recovery console, choose your Windows instalation & type
    Code:
    fixboot
    to rewrite your C:\boot.ini, because thats where the problem exists

3. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

When turning on the PC, hold down the DELETE button until the BIOS screen appears. There you can set the Boot Order. Make sure that cd/dvd is selected on a higher level than the harddisk. Now you should be able to boot from the Windows CD.

According to these messages, the Windows install is corrupt. So follow all Install steps, until it asks if you want to repair the current install or install a new install. Choose Repair in that case.

Problems like this could be related to a virus, or a broken harddisk.
    If the boot.ini file is corrupt, then it wouldn't know where to find these system files. The messages are actually referring to the files, that are presented by boot.ini. So in this case, the boot.ini should be fine. Otherwise you would see the message "NTLDR not found".

4. probe

probe Geek Trainee

Hello:
    I need help regarding a similar issue as mentioned above:
    I had to install a new power supply in my old Dell dimension 8400 desktop computer. Before I could figure out that it was the power supply that was actually bust, I tool out the hard drive and comnected in as an external drive to my other computer and made back ups of all data. But now, after installing the new power supply unit and after reinstalling the original hard drive back into the dimension PC, I get the windows error- and it keeps retsrating. unfortunately, after hitting F8 during boot, none of the advanced options do anything- they all follow the same path and give me the same multi/disk/rdisk/partition/windows/system32/drivers/mu.....error and the same restart procedure follows. I also do not have a clue where the original windows CD is. Can somebody please suggest a solution to fix this issue?
    I appreciate all your help-

Best,

Jay for Probe.....

5. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

So you have been able to connect your hard drive externally to a different computer? In that case you could try to copy the file from a different Windows machine to that hard drive. If that won't solve it, contact Dell and ask them for replacement recovery discs.