my computer keeps turning off by himself

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by w2yehia, Sep 21, 2007.

1. w2yehia

w2yehia Geek Trainee

hi,
    I bought a new motherboard and processor set:
    -Mach Speed MSNV-939 Socket 939 Motherboard
    Mach Speed MSNV-939 Motherboard - Socket 939, ATX, Audio, PCI Express, 10100 Ethernet LAN, USB 2.0, Serial ATA in Canada at TigerDirect.ca
    -AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Processor
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Processor - 2.0GHz, 1MB Cache, 1000MHz (2000 MTs) FSB, Toledo, Dual-Core, OEM, Socket 939, ADA3800DAA5CD, Processor in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

also i bought the first video card(ATI Radeon x1650 pro 512 mb) which was doing really well compared to my old built-in geforce 6100, i bought it from futureshop for 150$ and then found the same vidoe card in a diffrent store online for only 100$, so i continued searching and found the Geforce 8600 Gt 256mb for 160$ and i read alot of comparisons between the two cards and the geforce 8600 supports directx 10 so i thought it's good for the future.
    With the radeon, my system was wokring perfectly. but i orderd the geforce 8600 and returned the ati. today i installed the geforce, formated my pc and installed windows again. everything was ok during the installation of drivers, then when i started installign some programs the computer just turned off, as if he was cut out off power. i turned it on again, and it didn't last more then 5 min in windows until it turned off again. i don't know what is the problem, but i think it is cooling problem. my computer stayed on for about 2-3 hrs while i was formating and reinstalling windows, i guess after this time, some part got overheated. so i kept it off for about 2 hrs and then turned it on agian, it stayed for about half an hour on and then turned off again. i immediately tried to turn it on but it only lasted for few seconds and turned off. maybe the new card is not compatable, or maybe it needs more power. my power supply is not expensive , i got it with the case for about 45$, it's brand is Orius, 450W ATX, i'll try to post a picture of the power supply and the system. but anyway i think i stil have time to return the card, and i don't want my system to turn off lots of times, because sometihng can burn out in it.it's just that, everything was ok, unitl i put in the new 8600 card today, i never had such a problem. and i also looked at the fans in the case while the computer is on, they were all working (cpu,power supply, motherboard, geforce fans, all of them) and when the computer turned off they turned off with him, so they wern't the reason for the problem i guess.
    I would really appreciate some advice, thank you .

my system includes:
    2x512mb PC3200
    320gb sata2
    LG DVD writer

2. w2yehia

w2yehia Geek Trainee

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The GeForce 8 series do draw a lot of power, but the 8600 isn't a beast. I do think that the unit you have in there was able to swing it for what you started with, but adding more was too much for it to handle. However, having said that, a good rule of thumb about power supplies is that if it comes with the case, it's basically crap. For your needs, I can't think of a power supply under $50 that would do the job. Actually, there's very few power supplies under $50 that I'd recommend in the first place, and that's in US Dollars. It's not about wattage. There are 3 different voltages produced by the power supply, all in DC voltage: +3.3V, +5, and +12V. Modern computers rely heavily on the +12V, and not all power supplies are designed with this in mind. You should look for a power supply that provides at least 25A on a single +12V or via combined +12V rails if the power supply uses multiple +12V rails.

This Ultra X-Finity 500W would be one of your better bets for a cheap price.

4. w2yehia

w2yehia Geek Trainee

Thanks alot for the advice Big B, I really appreciate it.
    By the way, i went and bought the ati VC again the next day, but the basturd kept turning off for some reason. Then i gave up, and after two days i took my computer to my friends house to do some tests on it, i put back my old 3000+ AMD 64 in it, and it ran normally with my power supply, although the 3800+ was working also fine in the first beginning before getting the geforce, so currently i don't wanna touch the comp anymore. Maybe it was the cpu, because the new cpu(3800) didn't come with a fan, so it had no material on it's top(the greasy thing that comes inbetween the cpu and the cooler) and i just used my old fan which looks big enough and was doing good with the new cpu (only in the first begining)
    but anyways, if i get in to trouble, I'll try to ask for some help.
    Thanks again man..:D

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I see where there may be another problem. Whenever you remove the CPU heatsink, you should clean the thermal paste/pad off with isopropyl alcohol and then apply a paper-thin layer of thermal paste on the CPU heatspreader (the metal piece covering the CPU packaging surface).

Try that as well, as you're probably running into an overheating issue now that I know that. I do, however, strongly recommend replacing the power supply you currently have with something better.