My Computer won't restart...

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by blade, Jul 30, 2006.

1. blade

blade GEEK 2.0

I've recently replaced my hard drive from a Maxtor 60gb to a Seagate 320gb, and now I can't restart properly. Everytime I try restarting, by pressing the restart button in the Start menu etc., it would shut down instead of restart. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks.

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

a few more details about your specs would be helpful (e.g. mobo, RAM, CPU, PSU, OS & stuff like that)

3. blade

blade GEEK 2.0

Click on "My Computer", all the info. is there:)

4. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

i reckon it is a software related issue. it use to happen to me sometimes when i messed around with the registry and after a windows xp installation, it went fine

5. blade

blade GEEK 2.0

I never messed around with my registry though; (don't have the winXP cd to re-install)

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

sorry, i can be thick at times, will look at your specs

7. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

I seriously doubt it is hardware related. That said I don't have a clue what would fix it. It may just be one of those Windows things that pops up from time to time.

8. vol7ron

vol7ron Guest

Is it a RAID? How are your partitions set up - please dont tell me you only have one.

9. blade

blade GEEK 2.0

sata II hd, dont know what partitions are, but i think it is software-related, i think its my stardock object desktop thats causing the won't restart capability

10. vol7ron

vol7ron Guest

Partitions is how you split your hard drive. Are you saying that your "C:" drive is 320GB?!!?

With storage that large you should definitely split it up into at least a C:, D:, and E: drive. I would probably go as far to make a F and G as well (about 70GB per drive - even that is pretty large). Put the OS on its own partition, game programs on another, office programs on another, then other stored files on another for best performance.

I would recommend you running defrag as many times as necessary until the drive is not fragmented (or only has a few files remaining) and make sure you've downloaded SP2 and any other Windows related updates. You should goto www.diskeeper.com to find a nice defrag utility.

11. blade

blade GEEK 2.0

yes, c drive is 320gb; what are the advantages of having multiple drives run from one hd?
    And how would I do that?

12. vol7ron

vol7ron Guest

If this doesn't help then it is a hardware issue. This can happen when installing a new piece of hardware (usually a bios or power supply issue). See this site as this user found out that having a PCI and AGP device at the same time caused the same problem.

He did list many things you should try if you read all of his posts. For instance the PnP in the BIOS, that's a big one. They didn't work for him, but it may work for you. I have a feeling it has something to do with your HD being so darn big. -- Make sure you have up to date drivers.

13. vol7ron

vol7ron Guest

Do a search on google for Partitioning your hard drive. There are sites that will go into much more detail than I (I could describe them all, but I'm lazy and there are many reasons). For summay purposes, breaking your big large drive into smaller (virtual) ones:
    - decreases file seek time (speeding up your machine)
    - decreases file storage space
    - increases file management
    - decreases defragmentation time
    - improve system reliability

You really want your operating system to be on it's own drive, as it will help reduce corruption and other errors. Just read up on it, but having a 320 GB drive is just, yeah.. it's WAY too big.

To do this you will need to repartition using the Windows utility that is found on the installation CD (or one of the old Win98 floppies - which is what I use). If you use this method it will require you to reformat your drive and reinstall Windows XP. You could also use the innovative software PartitionMagic (search for it on google). This will split your drive into different sectors without having to reinstall windows.

I prefer the first method, but if you haven't the time nor the need to do things "right", do Partition Magic is a very nice alternative.

14. blade

blade GEEK 2.0

hmm, ic; i upgraded to the 320 from a 60 because I thought it would improve performance and improve seek times, and to obviously have more storage.
    when I started using the 320 hd, the performance didn't seem to improve a whole lot, and your probably right, its prolly because its too big

I bought the hd stand alone, didn't come with any software etc.; just the drive
    I used Acronis True Image to clone my hd from my old one, and I don't have the win. xp install disk, so I guess I'll use partition magic to do the partitioning; I don't think Acronis can do that

what do you mean by having your operating system to be on it's own drive, wouldn't I need it for each drive to save files etc.?

also, how many partitions do you recommend?

oh man, I really hope I wouldn't have to re-install all my software and games when re-partitioning, hope theres an option on partition magic that'll give you the option of transfering the files; re-installing everything would be a bitch

15. vol7ron

vol7ron Guest

Look at it this way, let's say you're looking for the file "Minesweeper.exe". If you dont know where it is, you would use the "Search" ability in Windows Explorer to find it. You can give it a starting location and if you really have no clue you would just search the whole C:\ directory. It's going to take your system a lot longer to find the file if you search the C:\ (and all subfolders) than if you had just searched the C:\Windows folder. -- That's what partitioning can help for.

The operating system regularly looks for system files and services that are set aside on your hard drive. If it doesn't have as many files (clusters) to search through, it will help your system perform better. It's like: if you're trying to find a needle in a hay stack, do you want that haystack to fill the whole room, or do you want it to be only a handful?

Partitioning is essentially splitting your one physical drive into many logical drives (it's like making many hard drives out of the one physical one). When you create the partitions, you say how big they can be, etc. Think of partitions as folders. Your operating system is mainly in the C:\Windows folder, but it can manage files on a CD, another hard drive, a floppy disk, etc. You only need to make sure your computer boots up to whatever partition your hard drive is on.

This is a tough question since hardware and software has changed over time. Windows (and other Game and Office programs) used to be very small in comparison today. At one time it was "amazing" to take up 500MB, now they take up 5GB a piece. Every game I have hits about 4.99GB, WindowsXP Pro takes about that much (if not more) and so does Microsoft Office 2003 Pro. Not to mention other programs like Visual Studio 2005 (including MS SQL Server and MS Web Development Studio) take a considerable amount. Then you have your Java Runtime files where it seems each update is over 100MB and so far there are 5 or 6 updates.

You want your operating system to be on it's own drive, so you would probably like to partition that to be the smallest. The good thing about partitioning the OS on its own drive is if there is a data problem, you only need to reformat that partition - this means all those games and applications you previously installed do not need to be reinstalled (saving you time and effort). When all is said and done you want your OS partition to be about the size of your OS + about another 30-50% for room to expand (updates, etc.) 5GB x 1.5 = 10GB -- that's pretty safe and smaller than what you have now (this leaves you with 310GB for everything else). As a hint, I haven't checked how big XP Pro is in a while, but you should not just trust my 5GB estimate, though 10GB should be a good size.

I would say for the other partitions, you would like to keep them at least 60GB and under, though I would really focus on splitting your games into a 40GB and under, your office and other applications should be around 35GB and under, and any miscellaneous files (music, kazaa files, etc.) can have a little more space as they are mainly read and not as resource dependent.
    -10 (for OS)
    -35 (for office and apps)
    -40 (for games - depending on how many)
    Leaves you with 235, which you should probably split up into about 4 60GB drives -- your 320GB drive does not give you a full 320GB, a small portion of the space is set aside to keep information about your partitions and store the MFT.

Partition Magic was developed because people were fed up with reinstalling when they had to repartition. Though, in my opinion partition magic doesn't provide the best partitioning as comparted to a FDisk (Windows) partition, but it does do a good job.

------------------------------------------------
    I'm curious why you bought a 320GB drive. Most people do not need so large unless they're using it as a RAID setup, or to run a database off of. If you want the best performance out of your machine, put more money into faster/lower timing memory, a faster hard drive (10,000RPM instead of 7200RPM), or a better processor. But this applies to everyone: keep your OS on it's own partition.

When all is said and done, partitioning is very good. It helps set aside a dedicated amount of disk space for your OS, any databases you may be running, or any programs of matter, leaving your less scrupulous files to whatever's left. Not to mention you can choose to encrypt certain partitions, which gives you a little added security.

16. blade

blade GEEK 2.0

wow, thanks for explaining. If I knew what I know now about hard drives, I'd definately would have bought a 10,000 rpm with a small storage size. The reason, I bought the 320gb hd, was because I thought it would improve performance, my perception; the bigger the hd, the better the performance; was obviously wrong.
    oh well, i'll make the most out of this 320

I'm thinking of splitting it into five-six, (8 I think would be too much, what would i do with the other partitions)
    os-10gb
    games-100gb
    office,work stuff-50gb
    media-50gb
    miscellaneous/other-88gb
    (shows 298gb for 320 hd)

I'm prolly going to use Parition Magic, since I've red that it has a very friendly user interface; and I'm new to partitioning, so this would be good.
    I'm a little nervous about this, i just hope i don't make a mistake!:x:
    But definately will clone my current hd first to my old one, just in case;)

I'll do a follow-up of what happens

17. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

if u have got data on ur hard drive and want to split partitions, DONT USE PARTITION MAGIC. it deleted everything that was on the partition (or drive) and fu**ed everything up and i decided to do a complete format and install of windows. however if the drive is new with nothing on it, use fdisk

18. vol7ron

vol7ron Guest

Many people have the same misconception. If your hard drive is 75-80% full then it's probably time to upgrade. The reason is, most defragmenting programs need 15-25% of freespace to run successfully. The more freespace you have, the easier it is to defrag.

But if you're looking for pure performance, first make sure your hard drive is completely defragmented (this is usually a performance breaker), and make sure you have enough system memory to support your daily tasks and performance needs. You will not notice too much of a difference when upgrading from a 7200 to a 10000RPM system (unless you're doing HDD dependent tasks such as database work or moving large files), but the difference is there. 320GB is not bad if needed, but it is way over what I need - don't get me wrong though, if you have it I'm sure you'll make use of it. You'll be able to download and store videos as well as many other files.

Back to point, if you're looking for noticeable performance, you'll want to look at memory and processor upgrades. You can get SiSoftware Sandra 2007 and test your filesystem, processor, memory, etc to see if they're bad (It's an alternative to PCMark05 with a few more options).

You might want to break your gaming partition into two partitions. The reason is that gaming files are typically larger (Counter-Strike Source and Everquest each have 1GB files that they use for sounds, models, etc) these files typically become fragmented more often than not. Splitting your gaming partitions into a "more used" and "less used" category will speed up the time spent defragging, because obviously you won't need to defrag the less used as often.

I'm with you, I don't like to see many drives in My Computer when I open Windows Explorer, but then again I didn't buy a 320G drive :). You don't have to use all your partitions though, so you could have one that's 150GB if you wanted and just never use it. Personally, I would set one up to be a backup. You have the space, and it couldn't hurt.

Cloning is definitely a good idea if you dont want to lose your information. I make backups on DVDs because I only have a 36GB drive at the moment (my 74 is on the way :)). I bet izzy wished he made a backup heh. Partition Magic is definitely a good Windows-based and commonly used program to ease the partition process.

Partition Magic was developed so that it would avoid this problem. You must have done something wrong or maybe the conditions weren't right =) My primary choice is fdisk though. Why? Because I normally want to clean my computer's unused files and do a fresh install of drivers. It's the quick and easy way for me to only keep what is needed and not have to hunt down files I don't need. I like using Fdisk because it is run outside of the OS - this alone is my reason for using it and any other utility you use before the OS loads.

19. blade

blade GEEK 2.0