My IP address is 0.0.0.0, can't connect to internet

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Megaritz, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Megaritz

Megaritz Geek Trainee

The problem started when my computer froze up upon my attempt to exit out of a sound-recording program. I became unable to move my mouse or do anything else. I turned the computer off and back on, and when it came back on, the first thing I noticed was that the visual theme had changed to one resembling an earlier version of Windows. I soon found a solution to that and ran some virus checks, finding some problems and fixing them.

Now the remaining problem is that I can't connect to the internet. I am "connected" to my wireless network, but it says "limited or no connectivity." My IP address is listed as 0.0.0.0. When I use the "repair" option for my wireless network, it says it can't renew my IP address. It says the problem is probably with the network. Internet Explorer also says that. However, I know the problem is strictly with the computer itself because of the problems I already had with it (freezing and changing the theme).

When I renew the IP address myself, it just stays the same--0.0.0.0. I can't connect to the internet this way.

I use a Toshiba Portege M400-S5032 with Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005. I have a Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless Router WGR614 v7. Please be patient with me, as I don't know anything about how wireless networking works, or many technical terms assosciated with it.

2. edijs

edijs Programmer

how about writing a free IP address for the network adapter by hand? Sometimes, when a network card wouldn't automatically renew the IP address from DHCP, I would do this. Go into the properties of the Wireless network connection, choose Internet Protocol from the list, choose Properties again and select manual address - type in the address that's free: like 192.168.1.101, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.1.1 (Netgear routers usually use 192.168.1.xxx addresses - I don't know about yours, though).

3. Megaritz

Megaritz Geek Trainee

Sorry, I can't figure out how to do that. What exactly do I have to look in to find those options?

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

From the Start menu, go to Settings->Network Connections. There your wireless adapter should show up. Right-click to bring up a menu and go to Properties. A box will pop up with the protocols installed on the adapter. Click the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and then use the properties button.

Now, here's the box we want. By default, it's set up be assigned an IP address, but clearly, we're running into problems. Manually assign the IP address by selecting the Manual radio button and entering in an IP. Often 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 is the router's IP address, so try 192.168.1.2 for example.

5. ASANTE

ASANTE Geek Trainee

check wheather the NIC drivers are properly install and NIC is enable in the device management