My laptop is hot!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Byhands, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Byhands

Byhands Geek Trainee

My laptop is hot, SpeedFan reads about 55 Celsius (122 Fahrenheit) when idle, and sometimes it can come up to over 90 Celsius (194 Fahrenheit) when playing video. The temperature in the room is about 25 Celsius. Usually I get "colored" squares on the screen usually when the temperature is about 66 celsius because the GPU is so hot.

I have tried cleaning the fan and heatsink with compressed air, I was even desperate and used an vacum cleater to try to get dust out.
    This has reduced the problem with the colored squares a bit, but it's still a problem.

Now I'm wondering if it's worth a try applying new cpu paste to reduce the temperature significantly? Or if there may be another cause for the problem. How much can I expect for the temperature to be lowered?

My laptop is an HP compaq 6735b and the CPU is "AMD Turion X2 Ultra DualCore Mobile ZM-82 2.20 GHz", it's about four years old and has been used a lot.

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Are you using the laptop on s flat service? When on a flat service, try raising the rear of the laptop a little for more air... I use a 1x2x12 board and put it under the rear feet....Your temps are way to high, you might need to change the thermal paste like you said..Or a different heatsink and fan..

3. Byhands

Byhands Geek Trainee

It's on a flat surface, I tried raising it a bit, but the temp is mostly the same.

I'll get some thermal paste soon.

4. Byhands

Byhands Geek Trainee

Hello, I applied thermal paste today.

When I removed the heat sink it was a sponge-like square on the sink where the CPU connects (see picture). I removed this before applying paste.

Now my laptop is even hotter, 70 degrees Celsius when idle , 80-85 when browsing the web. The GPU seems to be cooler though.

Do I need a new "sponge" like that or should I apply more thermal phaste?

Heatsink:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jd3ri6aaxxhtc0c/2013-08-23 23.59.19.jpg

CPU + GPU
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5sqpks1e61n7n4/2013-08-23 23.59.38.jpg

5. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

70 to 80 is just way to high, Did you check your fans/cooling system ? It sounds like a fan is not working over the cpu..

6. Byhands

Byhands Geek Trainee

The fan is blowing, but not very much. I cleaned the fan with a cotton tip dipped in isopropanol when putting new paste on.

7. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Byhands likes this.
  8. Byhands

Byhands Geek Trainee