My Linksys router frequently stops wireless broadcasting

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by pacmannia, Oct 26, 2010.

1. pacmannia

pacmannia Geek Trainee

My Linksys WRT54GC (version2) model router frequently stops wireless broadcasting and I have to unplug and replug the power cable to connect again.
    After some time, it again suddenly stops wireless broadcast until it's repowered.

I've been having this problem for over 2 weeks now and tried the latest firmware upgrade and resetted the router for countless times but couldn't solve the problem.

Anyone, has experience in this issue, has any reccomendation ?

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

If you like the way that router functions otherwise, it might be worth it for you to try replacing the AC / DC brick. They usually cost between $5-20/USD, + shipping, and is not guaranteed to solve the problem. If this isn't worth it to you, it might just be best to replace that router altogether with something of better quality. For the same price point as the router you already have, I'd recommend either the Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N (2.4GHz), or the Linksys WRT320N-RM (2.4GHz / 5GHz). If you want to spend a little more for something with more RAM and flash space, consider the WRT610N. All three models are stable and of good quality. They're also compatible with DD-WRT if you would like to use open-source, community-supported firmware (which is often superior in many ways to factory firmware).