My new PSU: ThermalTake ToughPower 600!

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Big B, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, my Enermax went belly up a few days ago. A loud pop and with a natural "WTF?" I went to investigate. Main box was off, and there was a smell, and at that point, I quickly deduced that I had a PSU failure.

Now, I knew the local shops carried some ThermalTake power supplies, which I remember the ToughPower's being among them. First shop was sold out.
    Second shop had a few, and seeing the 600W unit was there and remembering the reviews of the line being solid, this was what I got.
    I was hoping for a good deal on a Corsair 520HX, but none were to be had.

I almost thought my motherboard had bit it, but after I did a long CMOS clear, it's alive and kicking too.

Oh, and the moral of the story is: buy a quality PSU, so when it goes, it won't take your rig with it. ;)

2. Addis

Addis The King

I warn all my friends about the dangers of crappy PSUs....they never listen.

3. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

The almighty big b bitten by the psu! ZOMG my world just collapsed around me hehe, seriously tho bad luck mate, happened to me recently happy now runnin on an ocz 600, (the old chieftech 320 did last about 4 years nearly permanently on though, so I had much love for it and miss it still :( )

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I gotta get around and check out the warranty info and then get in contact with Enermax. I almost thought my board was nuked, panicked and ordered a Foxconn NF4 Ultra, but since I was waiting, I did the long CMOS clear and now it lives. I also moved some crap from my IDE hard drives over to my WD SATA so now I'm strictly on SATA when it comes to hard drives. I'll have to go fine tune a few BIOS settings (just a few memory timings), but this makes me appreciate DFI's CMOS reloaded so much more.

Actually, I think this is the first PSU I've had blow, and I've used some pretty dangerous ones in the past (like Deer). I'd hate to think of what would've happened had I been using a Powmax.

If the warranty is out, I'll have to crack open the Enermax and see what go boom.

5. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Good luck with that mate, nothing sweeter than a warranty upgrade if you can get it :D

6. rimmer

rimmer Geek

Same here, I happen to have the exact same power supply BTW, and its superb, not one problem has occured with it being down to the power supply. I warn you though, it has a lot of wires coming off it, so make room for all the unused connectors, it can make a mess of your case on the inside. Brilliant unit though, Shielded/sleeved cabling, anti-vibrant pad, 4 12A 12V RAILS which shows it is as steady as a hard drive, with no moving parts :rolleyes:

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I had a lot of cabling with the Enermax, so I'm used to that. I had to unsnip all my zip-ties when I took that thing out.
    Anyway, it's quite nice, and should serve just fine. Now, I just need to RMA my Enermax, since it's still under warranty.