need a motherboard

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by mckinnley, Nov 26, 2007.

1. mckinnley

mckinnley Geek Trainee

i went to ebay and got a bunch of computer parts that i think i got a really good deal on. so i got a 3.2GHz CPU, a 512mb graphics card (a 7800 GeForce), a 500gb hard drive and a 4GB RAM (edit: the RAM consists of two 2gb chips).
    so i got all these really great parts and i couldn't wait to get it all together, but i still need a motherboard. i know that it's stupid of me to try to find this part last but i thought it would be an easy thing to get. i need something that will support all of the parts that i got and it needs to be less than $75. i don't care if it's used or not. i found a bunch of them on ebay but many times they end up not being able to support one or two of the things. usually they are around 40 to 50 dollars used but i can't find a single used one that works with all my parts.
    if anybody knows a place where i can get this for a good price i would be more than happy, thanks.

2. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

What make and model is the cpu and whats the ram spec?

3. mckinnley

mckinnley Geek Trainee

i don't know what the RAM thing is called but i got this one

ebay

i don't know too much about computer part names and stuff like that, i know what they are but i just don't know the terminology
    i forgot what the CPU specs were, but i know that it was an intel pentium 4 that runs at 800MHz, also (obviously) i know that it is a 3.2GHz processor. i thought that CPU's were pretty standard so i don't know much about it.

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

a few more details would be helpful,

grx card - PCIe or AGP & if PCIe did you buy 1 or 2 for use in SLI mode
    CPU socket - is it a P4 LGA775 or 478
    HDD - SATA or IDE

thats all i can think of now

5. mckinnley

mckinnley Geek Trainee

i'll just put some pictures up of them when they get here, until then i don't know exactly what they are. i thought that these were all standard things because i've only seen the one kind of everything so i assumed that they were all the same. i'll post back in a day or two.

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

it was, years ago, but technology has moved forward a lot since then, pics may not be very helpful, could you please post the actual ebay descriptions or link to the items you bought

7. mckinnley

mckinnley Geek Trainee

CPU

link

GPU

link

RAM

link

i don't know about the hard drive. aren't there two kinds? and if so, aren't both types usually supported with the motherboard?

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

nealy, there is IDE, SATA1 & SATA2

it will say what interface it uses on the HDD

BTW: trying to find a 478 pin board, they all appear to be only selling 775 pin boards

and i haven't done this for a while

9. donkey42

donkey42 plank

Here but it's only compatible with SATA1, however, SATA2 drives will work but only at 1.5Ghz

basically you will want to disable the onboard gfx because onboard gfx are usually crap, but it has everything you nee

BTW: i'm out of date, there's hardly any 478 boards for sale

10. mckinnley

mckinnley Geek Trainee

so this motherboard will be able to run all of my parts to their full potential?

edit: i used the link once but the second time i tried to open it the website said that the page doesn't exist...

also, i'm willing to go up to $100 if this one doesn't work to my hardware's full potential (possibly 150 but i'm pretty limited with money).

if you can't find another thing like that can you just give me the product number? oh yeah, and thanks again for all your help.

11. zxivate

zxivate Geek Trainee

we need specs on the parts that you have all ready bought

12. mckinnley

mckinnley Geek Trainee

didn't i just give them to you?

edit: if you mean the specs of the parts that i didn't mention that's because i didn't get them yet. i'll get them as soon as i figure out a motherboard that works with the parts i already got.

13. zxivate

zxivate Geek Trainee

oh sorry, sometimes I just go straight to what I need without read everything that has been posted, bad habit I know

14. mckinnley

mckinnley Geek Trainee

well, i looked up all the specs and this seems to be the perfect motherboard for me. i never would have found this on my own, thank you so much for helping me it's greatly appreciated.

15. zxivate

zxivate Geek Trainee

I hope it works out for you

16. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well, there are not many 478 based motherboards available now, so, this was the best board available, for full specs of the motherboad visit Biostar
    np glad i was helpful

17. mckinnley

mckinnley Geek Trainee

wait... will this support my 512mb video card? it's a 7800 GeForce to be exact.

edit: i guess not, so is there something that i can get to make my video card work with it? i spent a lot of money on it and i would be pissed if i can only use half of it.

18. donkey42

donkey42 plank

it should, both the board & grfx card are PCIe X16 compatible

BTW: just double checking to verify your CPU is supported by that board[ot]i'm now doubting myself[/ot]

19. mckinnley

mckinnley Geek Trainee

but the "max shared video memory" is 256mb. is that something different?

edit: according to the pdf instruction manual my CPU is compatible with it.

20. donkey42

donkey42 plank

the max shared video memory is the amount of RAM you can allocate to the onboard gfx card[ot]onboard gfx card steal your RAM, that's 1 reason why their crap[/ot]this is not the case with gfx cards with their own memory

that's why i said
    motherboard manual :doh: